FORD TRITON V-10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WinterAdverse said:
I have a 2017 Thor 32 foot Class A with the Ford V10 and it is rated to tow 8000 lbs. It has the 6 speed transmission with a tow/haul button and is smarter than I am. My CRV is right around 6500 lbs and it has no problem towing that. Just FYI.

CRV weighing 6500#.  Wow, mine is at 3500#.

GaryA said:
CRV weighing 6500#.  Wow, mine is at 3500#.
this has to be a mistake...no Honda CRV weighs 6500 pounds,  unless the trunk full of gold bars.

pdwags said:
have another question about the Ford V-10 - we want to tow our Silverado 1500, 4 x 4, would it handle this type of towing? Thank you

My 2007 V-10 pulled our 24' enclosed trailer all over the west. Inside was the wife's Camaro, my Heritage, a spare generator, a small freezer, 3 spare batteries, tools, ladder, 33 gal water barrel (full), 4 five gallon gas cans, and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure I forgot.  :D Don't know what the overall weight was, but, I'm betting it was more than 5000 lbs. 
Oh, a side note. the trip averaged out at 7.4 mpg.

Attachments

• Havasu blm.jpg
    Havasu blm.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 37
sunfighter said:
My 2007 V-10 pulled our 24' enclosed trailer all over the west. Inside was the wife's Camaro, my Heritage, a spare generator, a small freezer, 3 spare batteries, tools, ladder, 33 gal water barrel (full), 4 five gallon gas cans, and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure I forgot.  :D Don't know what the overall weight was, but, I'm betting it was more than 5000 lbs. 
Oh, a side note. the trip averaged out at 7.4 mpg.
Anyone reading the above should keep in mind that the weight of the trailer is way above what the RV is rated to tow.  There are safety issues. 

Also, although I have not heard of a lawsuit being filed against an RV'er involved in an accident while towing a way overweight trailer, that could be an issue if you were to run into someone because you couldn't stop in time. 

AStravelers said:
Anyone reading the above should keep in mind that the weight of the trailer is way above what the RV is rated to tow.  There are safety issues. 

Also, although I have not heard of a lawsuit being filed against an RV'er involved in an accident while towing a way overweight trailer, that could be an issue if you were to run into someone because you couldn't stop in time.

I once had to swerve off the road, and down an embankment, to avoid a horse trailer coming straight at me (it broke loose from the towing pickup). It hit a car behind me and caused serious injuries. Sometimes the weight rating for towing is a frame or hitch strength problem (or even braking strength and endurance), rather than any consideration for the engine/transmission. After while things can fatigue...

AStravelers said:

unless it's a wrong way driver ....If for any reason you can't stop and hit someone in front of you....it is 100% your fault.

TonyDtorch said:
unless it's a wrong way driver ....If for any reason you hit someone in front of you....it is 100% your fault.
I don't think it is case of being At Fault.  It is more a case of being reckless when you know you are way over weight.  Then when it comes to a lawsuit, they could sue for huge damages because you are being careless.  You could possibly have a clause in the insurance policy to void the policy if it is determined you intentionally disregarded common sense and that caused the accident.   

TonyDtorch said:
unless it's a wrong way driver ....If for any reason you hit someone in front of you....it is 100% your fault.
Not always... I was found not at fault when I rear ended a car that spun out into my lane from the lane next to me.

all prior attempts to legislate 'Common sense' have been overturned by the 9th circuit court of appeals. ( it's a joke  :)

You are suing the owner of an overloaded RV  and you will likely get the limits of his insurance policy for medical and property damage.
Proving recklessness is difficult and expensive, proving intent is near impossible.. even for the FBI.

Any personal damage claim and law suit above the insurance value would likely will just keep several attorneys employed for many years, in the event of a judgement and a lien is filed against the old RV drivers estate, then when it's settled the attorney fees, the investigation costs, document fees, court fees will be deducted....then just about the time you've forgotten about it you may get a settlement check of about $486.12 in the mail for your pain and suffering.

our legal system really only benefits itself.
;)

NY_Dutch said:
Not always... I was found not at fault when I rear ended a car that spun out into my lane from the lane next to me.
so he was actually going the wrong way.....by spinning.

TonyDtorch said:
  what about after you hit him ?  ;D

His vehicle slid about 10 feet mostly straight ahead. The road was slick with rain, and when he lost control he did a 360 into my lane too close in front of me to stop in time. I was already on the brakes with the anti-lock chattering away when I hit him. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but his SUV was totaled and my truck needed a new front bumper.

AStravelers said:

I have to say that I too have never heard of an RV'er being sued for an overweight trailer. If you can't stop in time and rear end someone, it's a moot point as you are at fault anyway with the exception of something like NY_Dutch had to deal with. As others have said, litigation would be too costly with not enough $$$ return.

It is sounding like some folks don't think it is a problem to be towing 7000 or 8000 pounds of trailer behind a motorhome rated to tow 4000 to 5000 pounds. 

Nah, if you pop the tires,  you've put too much in. Just put solid tires on it and load 'er up. All those weight rating get are fiction.

yes,    GVW's are fictional in most of the other countries that I've been in. Almost every type of vehicle is used far over the factory recommend level.

have you ever seen an entire family riding on a small motorcycle in South East Asia ?  this stuff is normal in many other countries. Look at our neighbor to the south, do you think they ever worry about GVWs down there?

GVW's are there mostly for warranty purposes by the manufacture ... no more warranty..no real need for a GVW.  if it will handle it safely, and you can drive it safely...then there really isn't any problem. 

In America GWV's are enforced,  but only in the commercial trucking industry, ....and it's not really for safety,... it's for tax revenue.  It is odd that a motorhome is allowed to have a drive axle with a GWV of 28k,(and never road checked)  but it's highly illegal for commercial truck to ever have more than 20k on the same axle. (and weighed at every state line)

Attachments

• trucks in Kuwait.jpeg
    trucks in Kuwait.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 11
AStravelers said:
It is sounding like some folks don't think it is a problem to be towing 7000 or 8000 pounds of trailer behind a motorhome rated to tow 4000 to 5000 pounds.

Sounds like some folks would like a govt. regulation requiring all RV's to stop at all weigh stations. Otherwise, how would we know when a trailer, or say a fifth wheel is overloaded? As an added bonus, the govt would probably love to rake in the fines for any RV that has exceeded it's GVW, because, I'm sure there are no overloaded RV's on the highway today. Right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom