Looking to purchase our 1st MH, considering Nexxus 32SC or maybe Phantom Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwags

Hello everyone, Love the forum. We are newbies at the Motorhomes. We are looking to purchase our 1st MH. We are considering a Nexxus 32SC with a MaxxForce 7. Any comments on this particular one or the Nexxus brand. We really want a diesel because we probably are pulling a Silverado. Any comments, experiences, recommendations with this brand would be greatly appreciated.

I would be careful of the Maxxforce engine.  When Monaco went bankrupt, it was bought by Navistar which made the Maxxforce engines.  Ford also got involved with the Navistar engine at some point but discontinued their Navistar engine in 2010.  Navistar had a lot of issues with the Maaxforce engine development because they couldn't meet emission standards and discontinued their effort in 2012  There were a lot of warranty claims and some lawsuits.  I think you'll find a lot more if you Google Maaxforce Engines Discontinued.

ArdraF

" Not many manufacturers are using the MaxxForce anymore after a rash of problems several years ago. The current generation, the ?7?,  presumably has resolved the issues that plagued its previous generation.  The fact that a company like NeXus is currently employing the much maligned MaxxForce has to mean they are convinced of its reliability ?and they wouldn?t make this decision lightly- but we would strongly recommend asking some pointed questions. Again, the current MaxxForce7 may be a stellar diesel, but make sure you?re convinced before making an offer."

Hope this helps ...

yes we agree, nhlineman. We've read about the previous problems, but not much feed back about the current MaxxForce 7. So I was hoping to find some owners to provide personal experience.

Appreciate your recommendations!!!

Nexus is a relative newcomer to RV manufacturing and doesn't have much of a track record yet. I'm not saying they are no good, but you won't find much info because there isn't much yet.  They are heavy on the hype, though.

Buying factory direct may have some price-savings, but I would not assume that without comparing price quotes with other brands from dealers. RVs are typically discounted, sometimes steeply, so you have to work to get real "out-the-door" price comparisons.

What other brands have you considered and why is the Nexus best for you? is it a particular floor plan, an attractive list price, perceived qualities, or something else?  I'm not challenging your preference - just asking what your decisions were based on so we can comment or suggest alternatives.

Have you looked at the Winnebago products  ?..... nobody hates a Winnebago.

if Nexxus is a factory direct deal ...You could go visit the factory before you hand them any money.

Just don't take your checkbook !!     

you should at least look at the Winni's and some others. 

Tony

The thing we noticed on Nexus, was a decent priced diesel, but without track record may have something to do with that. We are looking for a MH around 30 +/- with a diesel. Trying to avoid buying a different vehicle to tow. Probably towing a Silverado 1500, b/c our other vehicle would require a dolly & more expense. Yes, we are open & welcomed to suggestions!! Also definitely looking at something that would be gently used, but not real old. Thanks all of you for your comments.

I hate to use such a hackneyed expression, but with RVs you mostly get what you pay for. The industry is extremely price-competitive, so a cheaper model is going to be cheaper built. Period. If it appears to superficially offer more for the dollar, then you can be pretty sure that it skimps elsewhere to make up for it.  All the RV makers are buying chassis, appliances and materials from pretty much the same few suppliers and then assembling them into an RV, so they get the price down by lowering standards for workmanship (often in less visible places) and choosing lower grade materials (upholstery, flooring, wall coverings, etc.).

Have you looked at the Allegro Breeze and Allegro Red diesel class A's?  Or some of the Thor Super-C diesels?

You imply that dolly towing is more expensive than 4-down?  If anything, it is probably the other way around. 

I did a lot of research into Nexus, I even went to RV Shows and looked at Nexus, and all of my findings were negative, no dealership network, no service centers, no after the sale contact from Nexus. I purchased a Winnebago.

Starting on September 1st .. Nexus will no longer be a factory direct manufacturer. They will begin selling directly to dealerships at that time.

If factory direct pricing and customization options are important to you .. then you might want to act quickly on your decision if you haven?t already done so.

Our 2018 Nexus Phantom 32SC is two weeks into the build. We researched a new MH sense the beginning of 2017. CURRENT posts about the MaxxForce indicate that the earlier problems have been resolved.
As for track record, while Nexus may only be 7 years old, the two principles have decades of experience in the RV industry. We made the deal when we realized what a bang-for-the-buck that Super C is.
As for service, they have nation-wide service at NON-RV dealerships. A trip to their site, www.nexus.com will show the locations and explain why/how it works.
We are waiting (impatiently) to drive our 2011 Winnebago Access Premier 31NP to Elkhart.

You can follow the build of "maRVey" here. http://pantherc.dot5hosting.com/Build.html

Attachments

• IMG_3412S.jpg
    IMG_3412S.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 8
Wasn't the maxxforce just a continued production of Ford/Navstar 6.4 diesel for large chassis, even after the pickups came out with the 6.7 Ford built diesel?

Wasn't the maxxforce just a continued production of Ford/Navstar 6.4 diesel for large chassis,

Sort of, but not exactly. To be more accurate, the Ford 6.4L was a derivative of a new International truck engine and the first commercially available version of it, but Navistar always had their own version for the medium truck market under their International label (later named "Maxxforce"). The same was true of the previous Ford Powerstroke 7.3L - it was a derivative of an International 7.3L diesel.

The Ford versions were tailored for the Ford pick-up truck application and used some Ford components outside the basic engine block.  When most of us talk about an engine, we mean the whole assembly, including fuel supply system, cooling system, starter motor & wiring, and exhaust headers. However, those external components are typically tailored for each application of the basic engine, so there are often noticeable differences.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Sort of, but not exactly. To be more accurate, the Ford 6.4L was a derivative of a new International truck engine and the first commercially available version of it, but Navistar always had their own version for the medium truck market under their International label (later named "Maxxforce"). The same was true of the previous Ford Powerstroke 7.3L - it was a derivative of an International 7.3L diesel.

The Ford versions were tailored for the Ford pick-up truck application and used some Ford components outside the basic engine block.  When most of us talk about an engine, we mean the whole assembly, including fuel supply system, cooling system, starter motor & wiring, and exhaust headers. However, those external components are typically tailored for each application of the basic engine, so there are often noticeable differences.
Ah, Thanks Gary. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom