EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: ISB-300 5.9 power loss and smoke w/exhaust brake  (Read 295 times)

Rspencer01

ISB-300 5.9 power loss and smoke w/exhaust brake
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:13:21 PM »
Hello first timer and new to RVing. Had lunch after doing some average grades. Let coach idle for 5 min as I always do. After lunch took off and felt like someone tied a anchor to me. Didn't think much of it until hit Oregon-Cal border grade. Big loss of power, got to 225 degrees pulled over let cool and then continued. A while later on downside I hit the exhaust brake and it starts to smoke out of exhaust pipe. Check engine light came on. Everything else seemed normal. Drove rest way home without using EB and no smoke, but still power loss. I'm thinking turbo charger, but before take it in and take a big $ hit does anyone have any idea of other possible causes. Thanks Rob

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: ISB-300 5.9 power loss and smoke w/exhaust brake
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »
Power loss is often a dirty fuel filter and sometimes a dirty air filter. Diesels are highly sensitive to both. Maybe a leaky charge air cooler? Failed turbo charger is certainly a possibility, but would be further down my list of potential problems. Don't go for the worse case problem until the simpler stuff has been ruled out.

A check light with the EB engaged isn't real unusual, and since you already had combustion problems the smoke is not surprising either. However, it is possible the EB is closed or partially closed and that too causes power loss. The EB requires periodic lubrication and can stick without it. 
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 06:49:25 PM »
A coolant leak would fit those symptoms and the coolant reservoir for those engines has a record of springing a leak after a few years. 
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 06:09:48 AM »
Didn't someone recently post a similar problem here a few months ago? Seems they had lost a band/hose clamp around the turbo system somewhere. But this could also be a faulty memory. (mine) ::)
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Truckd310

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »
O yeah, this engine will go to downgrade mode to protect critical parts from damage if the fluids become too low. temp seems a little high, make sure your fan is working I think it come on it about 213-215degrees.

Rspencer01

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 06:29:00 PM »
Thank you all for the input. Will check all before I resort to taking it to Cummings. Will let you know what the problem is. Great forum!

utahclaimjumper

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 06:09:46 PM »
  CUMMINS,, as in Clessie Cummins ,(the founder of the Cummins corp. and designer of the Jacobs braking system)still is not Cummings.  We whom own these fine engines would like that clear. Google Clessie Cummins for a look into some very interesting history.>>>Dan
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:57:53 PM by utahclaimjumper »
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

Hosted by Over The Network