EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: travel trailer roof coating??  (Read 387 times)

jimmy87903

• ---
travel trailer roof coating??
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:41:46 PM »
I have a 2006 Fleetwood mallard 22' travel trailer.I was doing annual roof maintence with a cleaning using simple green when I discovered the black spots I first thought was mildew or mold was actually the black backing of the epdm rubber roof material.I am considering either dicor lifetime roof coating or liquid roof coating.Has anyone used either one or have any input which might help on this matter?I had considered a roof coating in the past but after talking to dicor customer service,was told if I didn't have any issues at the time to not fix what was not broke.But it seems now its time to do something.I am a dicor fan when it comes to the roof of my rv,but am giving liquid roof brand coating a hard look.Except for a fairly large spot of worn white membrane,about the size of half a page out of a magazine the rest of the roof is in decent shape.This travel trailer did not have good maintence before I purchased it and no telling what cleaners have been used on the roof,but for the age of the roof it should be in better shape than it is.As for any concerns on it being a Fleetwood with a alpha roof it is not,it is epdm with a black back on the material.Any advice would be appreciated,thx

goose33

• ---
  • I just wanna go camping.
Re: travel trailer roof coating??
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:20:40 PM »
I'm following this thread because I'm looking at doing a thorough cleaning and resealing of my TT's roof. Mine is a 2014, but with the harsh Florida heat and rain, I think it's in need of a little TLC. I've really only heard of people using Dicor for all their RV roofing needs. Seems to be the way to go being self leveling and all. Good luck.
I just wanna go camping.

2016 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost
2014 Keystone Passport 252BH Ultra Lite

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 06:11:11 AM »
You may also want to check this out:

http://rv-armor.com/index.html

A little pricy, but if you're planning on keeping the trailer for a while, it may be worth it.

Other than that, check out one of the site sponsors at the top of the page.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 10:24:57 AM »
I'm following this thread because I'm looking at doing a thorough cleaning and resealing of my TT's roof. Mine is a 2014, but with the harsh Florida heat and rain, I think it's in need of a little TLC.

goose33: you have no need at all for the kind of re-coating that jimmy is asking about.  Just keep your roof reasonably clean and touch up the seam caulk as needed.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 10:28:22 AM »
Jimmy: Your Mallard probably has an Alpha systems EPDM membrane rather than Dicor brand. If so, it requires some special handling if you choose a coating other than Alpha's own brand.  Basically you need to apply a primer first if you want to use Dicor or Liquid Roof brand coating. Both Dicor and LR explain this somewhere on their websites and literature.

Fleetwood used Alpha brand EPDM throughout their product line, so odds are strong that is what you have.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

goose33

• ---
  • I just wanna go camping.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 10:57:01 AM »
goose33: you have no need at all for the kind of re-coating that jimmy is asking about.  Just keep your roof reasonably clean and touch up the seam caulk as needed.

Thanks again Gary! I know my roof is newer, just wanted to pick up some tips and insight. Thanks again.
I just wanna go camping.

2016 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost
2014 Keystone Passport 252BH Ultra Lite

jimmy87903

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 09:55:11 PM »
gary,thx for the comeback,but even though this rv is a Fleetwood it is a epdm roof not a alpha.I checked it months ago before this problem arose by pulling the bathroom ventelation vent trim piece down and checking the rubber roof material and it has a black backing.This is what is showing through on top the epdm white top coating is worn through and the black backing is showing through in this spot.The alpha the best I remember is solid white,and thx for everyone else that give feedback on this post.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 10:39:01 PM »
You might want to click on one of our sponsor's ads, EDPM Coatings at the top of this page.  They have a detailed description and several good videos under the RV Roof tab on the left side of the screen.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 11:46:21 AM »
This is what is showing through on top the epdm white top coating is worn through and the black backing is showing through in this spot.The alpha the best I remember is solid white,
I think you are confusing the test for EPDM vs TPO. TPO is always white on the back, and EPDM black.  Both Alpha and Dicor make both kinds of membrane. If there is a reliable way to tell Alpha EPDM from Dicor EPDM, I haven't found it described anywhere. Maybe Dicor pr Alphas Customer Service can help.

Apparently the Alpha EPDM is chemically a bit different than the Dicor EPDM and primer is recommended to use Dicor-compatible products. However, I see reports of people who used Dicor or Liqui Roof or sinmilar on their Fleetwood Alpha roofs and it worked fine. Maybe just a question of risk taking?   Maybe it works 99% of the time? I honestly don't know and defer to the roof coating manufacturer's instructions.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:50:33 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

jimmy87903

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »
Thx for the info,I will go with the LIQUID ROOF brand and use primer as a base coat.It will cost me twice as much but I rather be sure than sorry.I have talked with several rv dealerships and one full time rv er,and were told by both the dicor coating is very good but every 3-4 years you were back on top with another coat.I am a hard core dicor fan when it comes to my roof but the liquid roof is pulling me in that direction.I can get a 10 year warranty with it and even if the warranty is no good putting a 30 ml thick coat has got to be better.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 06:28:15 PM »
It should not need re-coating that soon if you do good prep work. And if you don't, it will may be even sooner!

Seriously, if the backing on the EPDM is still in decent shape, cleaning and priming before coating should give you a reliable roof for several years.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Hosted by Over The Network