Aluminum Roof Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jary

Good Morning,

We have an 1986 Minnie Winnie we are renovating.  We found that apart from needing new caulking on the roof there are some fine sized holes in a couple of spots that need to be covered.  We were thinking of just sealing the entire roof.  We will be using EternaBond on the sides/corners.  A local RV supply told us to use ProFlex RV instant roof repair.  It is really pricey and the amount bc we would need is substantial.  Is there an alternative for an Aluminum Roof? Do we need to use that specific one or can any elastomeric roof coating work?  We saw something at Lowe's that could work but we are not sure if we can use it.  Any ideas are welcome.  We would like to get roof finished this weekend so that we can continue with the inside.  Not sure how to post pics here.

When I had a mobile home with an aluminum roof I used the white Kool Seal elastomeric coating on it.  It worked so well when I got a 5th wheel with an aluminum roof I used it there, too.

Any elastomeric coating should work on your aluminum roof.  Make sure you follow all of the prep instructions.

It's the EDPM rubber roofs where you have to be careful what you use on them.

Thank you.  This helps.  We really new to this but found the opportunity to buy an RV and went for it. 

Agree with Lou. You can use any elastomeric roof coat product on an aluminum roof. Doesn't have to be an "RV" product, or one designed for EPDM rubber membranes.

I'm a fan of Geocel and their Proflex products. but brands like Henry's are widely available at home centers and much better prices. They work fine in this particular case.

Your choice. Fiber is a reinforcement that adds strength and better ability to bridge gaps and imperfections, so I would lean toward a coating with some fiber. Coatings come with various amounts and types of fiber, but I don't think a high fiber content is important.

You can also get other types of roof coatings that are suitable for aluminum, e.g. emulsion products. However, Rvs are subject to extremes of stretching and vibration that fixed site roofs are not, so the stretch-ability of an elastomeric seems a good choice.

Thanks.  This really helps a lot.  I can't wait until we have the RV on the road.  I am sure I will have more questions as my remodel goes.

Back
Top Bottom