Running 2 AC units in my 30A rig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pz

Actually the original RV A/C unit plus a portable heat pump we're using as the additional A/C unit.

My method is not exactly pretty, but it required minimum work to get it operational. There are now two ways to connect the second A/C unit to the park power supply:
  • Using the existing 30A cable and a second 20A cable - I added an additional NEMA L5-30R power inlet. I understand this might not be usable in all parks because the 20A and 30A park sockets are wired on the same 3Aa source.
  • Using a new 50A power cord and a "Y" splitter adapting the 50A cord to two 30A plugs, then to the rig
I left the original 30A circuit RV completely alone and added the second power inlet to serve a single new socket inside the rig (in the same area as the power inlets are located). That socket is protected with a 20A marine breaker, and I deliberately chose a round socket so the wife will always know that anything plugged into the round socket is on the new circuit.

We now plug the 12,500 BTU heat pump into that dedicated circuit, and have the vent for the portable unit ducted outside the window where the unit is located.

We tried it out on a run to Orifino Idaho on the Clearwater river where the temperature was 105 degrees.  We were very comfortable in our newly equipped rig with both cooling units running.

Attachments

• 20plus30.JPG
    20plus30.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 50a.JPG
    50a.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 55
  • breakerandplug.JPG
    breakerandplug.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 55
  • heatpump.JPG
    heatpump.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 51
  • ducting.JPG
    ducting.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 50
Thanks Kev - I'm headed to the Columbia Valley one of these days soon, and now I don't have to listen to the missus giving me a bad time for an under-cooled rig  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom