Washington "Seattle to Chelan area"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djgj5150

Taking a trip from the Seattle area to Chelan for the weekend. Towing a 28' Keystone Springdale (roughly 5500lbs) with our 2010 GMC Yukon XL (towing weight of about 8800 lbs).

Looking for recommendations on the routes. Highway 2 isn't bad and the grade is hard at times, but going slow and easy is the method.

Has anyone gone over Highway 20 by chance and is the grade that bad or easier on rigs?

TIA!

I would go hiway 2. As you probably know, Snoqualmie is a mess! Hiway 20 gets pretty steep and for a long ways. It IS a pretty drive IF you are a patient driver and not in a big hurry. Two lanes and twisty roads don't go well with RV's, mostly the ones in front of you going 15mph under the speed limit... Have fun & be safe! Too many people getting hurt/drowning in recent years.

I go both 2 and 20 at least twice a year. Both 2 lane, twisty and narrow at times.
Take your time and enjoy the scenery.  From Seattle, 2 would be shorter.  That being
said, I find that going East on 20 and West on 2 are the easiest.  The grades are longer
but not as steep.  On 20 going West especially you have a long steep grade with a sharp right turn at the top and after you lose momentum more uphill.  Not impossible and the scenery is worth it. 
If 20 is your route from Seattle, get off the 5 at Exit 206 to hiway 530 and Darrington
then Rockport on 20.  If not in a hurry there is a nice campground by the river at
Rockport.  Reservations recommended.  Google Skagit county parks for Howard Miller
Steelhead Park.

Back
Top Bottom