Looking for campgrounds near Weeki Wachee Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FLMikeG

Hi Folks,

I am looking for a public-run campground near Weeki Wachee springs in Hernando county Florida. I have scoured the web and am having a hard time finding a campground in the area that meets my primary criteria - public/government run.

I want a federal/state/county park because I am not a fan of RV parks with their rules and non-wilderness feel. I don't want to camp some place that feels like a neighborhood - I don't want to look around my campsite and see a ton of other campers right on top of me.

I also own a 34-yo restored vintage TT and I don't want to endure any snobbery by parks with age limits. So, I am coming up empty on finding a suitable campground within a 20-30 min drive of Weeki Wachee.

Does anyone know of a park that I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• rig-a.jpg
    rig-a.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 23
  Closest I can think of is just outside of Dade City; check the Pasco County website to see if that's workable. Of course there's Hillsborough SP south of Zephyrhills and Chassohowitzka south of Homosassa.

Yes; there is a great one about ten miles down the road that we use a lot. It is in Chassahowitzka and is a county park. the name is chassahowitzka county campground.
It is right on the river at the head springs.

The only problem I have with it is on the weekends. The short road from it to the launch and the parking lot is packed with fishermen.

You'll  have to make reservations way in advance though because it pretty much stays full

Jack L

After further research, I am not going to stay at Chassahowitzka River Park. There is no gate or security and anyone can drive into the campground without paying or a code. This would stress me out worrying about my rig and stuff while we are out. Also, after looking at a ton of photos, the campground doesn't have much privacy - every direction you can see other rigs.

I am continuing my search and not having much luck. I know I am being picky, but the types of parks I like are out there (I have stayed at a few down here), but there doesn't seem to by any near Weeki Wachee.

We stayed at Ross Prairie for a few days last Feb.Small horse camp but we didn't see any horses in camp only in trail area.It is gated.
Bob

Back
Top Bottom