Goodby 12 volt system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Indian Creek

I Want to modernize my destination trailer for full time living, electrically.  I want to remove all 12 volt system.  The trailer is on "City everything", water, electric, sewer, and is permanently set, blocks anchors etc.  10x30 addition has been added that is separate 110 power only.
Question:  Can the converter be bypassed in the trailer without losing 110 power?  Manufacturer was Forest River.  Any experienced ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

I have a little of both
We have a 2017 forest river that is like yours, and in a permanent site on blocks.
last winter I installed a 50 amp 220volt, with a main breaker panel with a fifty amp cord and plug. I installed a new cable port so I now have a 30,amp supply, ( the original) and my new 50 amp one.
I installed a new washer and dryer in a dock box and fed them from the new panel. I also disconnected my A/C unit from the 30 amp panel and switched it over to the new panel.

there would be no problem disconnecting the 120 volt receptacle circuit(s) from the original panel and switching them over to the new panel although you would probably need a junction box someplace in between the two.

The big problem I see for me is the lights which are all 12 volts and the 12 volt battery is necessary if your awning is motor operated.

Jack L

The only problem I see would be with light fixtures and the wiring for those fixtures may not be rated for 110v

Yes, as far as bypassing the converter goes, but you have several hurdles to overcome otherwise. Your RV has a LOT of 12v circuits that do handy things, e.g. interior lighting and thermostat for a/c and heating.  Probably controls the refrigerator too, unless you have added a residential type fridge. LP and CO detector as well.

It makes a whole lot more sense to leave the converter in place to make 12v as needed from the shore power. You can eliminate the battery if you feel strongly about it, but I would leave a small one in place as emergency back-up for the systems that need 12v power.

I agree with Gary, leave a small battery for backup. It would be hard to change the lighting to 120 vac without swapping out the low voltage wire for 120 vac rated. Some converters are rated as power supplies and provide the 12 volts without a battery. IOTA is one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom