Thermostat upgrade help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Almightycrash

I have a 1996 Fleetwood American Dream.
One of my thermostats went out and so I thought I?d take advantage of this opportunity to upgrade. I read that residential thermostats won?t work, so I made sure to get two new RV thermostats.
My problem is that I now have 6 wires and a thermostat that has only 3 connectors.

Did I buy the wrong thermostats, or is there a way I can wire them properly?

And many "residential" thermostats will work, at least with some models of a/c. It's mostly fan speed control that gives problems. Basic cooling usually works.

For full control, you need thermostats that are compatible with the controllers on your a/c units, so a/c brand & model if the first question. Heat pumps and multi-speed fans require more sophisticated t-stats.

Ok. Thank you.
I will see if I can borrow someone?s ladder so I can get on the roof and find out AC model....assuming roof will hold my weight.

Thermostats are Dometic single zone AC/heat Capacitive Touch Thermostats.

The model number should be visible on most models from inside the air return area, no need to get on the roof.

Isaac-1 said:
The model number should be visible on most models from inside the air return area, no need to get on the roof.
Well that sounds much easier. I?ll do that tonight!

The shrouds have been spray painted by previous owner.
These are only labels on control box.

Attachments

• IMG_4619.JPG
    IMG_4619.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 24
I was referring to the a/c manual, not the general RV brand manual. Usually it is included with the coach. If not, then its back to search for the brand plate.

The labels in the photo seem to indicate the interior (ceiling) unit, but those usually have their own thermostat. It indicates it is from RV Products, which is an alias for Airxcel and the Coleman brand of a/c units. The second label also gives thermostat wire info, which should help you match up to the proper thermostat.  I'm not familiar with the Dometic t-stats you chose, but maybe a Coleman t-stat would be easier to match up. However, new thermostats tend to be tough to match to old units. You might be better off with an older model t-stat, e.g. units found on Ebay or a salvage yard.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/coleman-thermostat

You might also call American Coach customer service and see what they remember about your 96 Dream. They should be able to tell you what the a/c model was (you must provide the coach FIN or VIN to get specific info on yours).

There is also a fellow named Kevin Mallory who used to work at American Coach and now operates his own RV service shop, specializing in American Coaches. He even owns a 96 Eagle, so he probably knows what you are have. https://www.facebook.com/Cruising-America-Rv-Service-Co-190566297646802/

Thank you. That?s what I was afraid of. I was just hoping there was a way I could switch to digital.

I was just hoping there was a way I could switch to digital.
There probably is, but I don't know enough about the a/c you have or the thermostats you bought to give you the simple answers you are looking for. Mating up new technology with old stuff typically takes some tech skills and intuition.

If the a/c units are heat pumps or have auxiliary heat strips, the heating function would account for some extra wires.

My best guess is you have a standard RV hook up with the six wires and you have the wrong thermostat ordered. Many people have replaced standard RV thermostats with digital residential units.
Do a google search for "replacing RV thermostat with digital" and you will find numerous articles and videos on how to.

Thermostats are Dometic single zone AC/heat Capacitive Touch Thermostats.

Is it one of these three (variants of the same t-stat)?
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/Single%20Zone%20LCD%20Operation%20Manual_3313327.037.pdf

This is a digital control thermostat as well as an LCD/digital display. That's why it has only three terminals, +12v, ground (-12v) and a single digital commo terminal. Your old a/c uses analog controls, thus more wires.

From what I read, it can still be hooked up but using only one of the 6 wires. Not sure if you get full function doing that, though. This file describes what to do:
http://eldonrv.com/Downloads/Dometic%20PDFS/Dometic%20SZ%20LCD%20Installation%20Details.pdf

I think one of these digital display thermostats, designed for use with the older analog wiring, would be much easier to install. There are other similar models as well.

http://eldonrv.com/Coleman-Thermostat-Digital-H/C-12v-6-wire-8330-3362.aspx

Thanks!
I will check out all of those links. 
This is what the new one looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_4714.JPG
    IMG_4714.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member