EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Looking for a rugged travel trailer. What models to look at?  (Read 471 times)

johnhoward

• ---
  • Are you absolutely sure there are no Absolutes?
Hi all.  I am looking for advice on which brand and models of TTs (Travel Trailers) are built for a little rougher roads.  I am not talking about Off Reading here, just gravel and dirt roads and the like.  I have been doing some research and have run across names like Jayco Baja and Arctic Fox.  I am just wondering if some folks here can give me some insight on this and maybe a few more models to look at.

I live in Texas and I am hoping to find something within a few hundred miles of me.  I don't want anything huge, maybe 24 to 28 feet.  I am looking for used in condition, maybe 2007 or newer.  I just need something that has a good frame, durable well built box, and it a four season. 

What do you guys recommend for my needs?  Thanks in advance. 
Death is a Gamble.  No one knows the cards death holds.  Choosing to not believe in God, is like choosing to bet on a worst hand in poker.  You have no chance of wining.  Atheism is an unintelligent and illogical choice.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
Re: Looking for a rugged travel trailer. What models to look at?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 06:35:07 PM »
Look at the Mountiam series at Outdoors RV. Beefy frame, solid construction, four season. I know they have a dealer in the Denver area, but I don't know if there are others closer to you.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

johnhoward

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 08:09:40 PM »
Look at the Mountiam series at Outdoors RV. Beefy frame, solid construction, four season. I know they have a dealer in the Denver area, but I don't know if there are others closer to you.

I would love to get one, but there is not one within a 1000 miles of me.  They all seem to be up in Idaho or Montana.  I live in Texas.  Are then any other you would recommend?  I know had a 1996 Fleetwood Willderness 29S that was tough as nails.  I hauled it from Texas to Alaska in 2000 and up to Northern Canada in 2003 and all over the NWT and back to Texas in 2006.  I lived in after that until for years and then gave it away to a you couple that were just starting off and they are still living in it.  I have a 2009 FLEETWOOD WILDERNESS 270DBHS near by for sale and I am wondering if the newer are built like that 1996 29S model. 
Death is a Gamble.  No one knows the cards death holds.  Choosing to not believe in God, is like choosing to bet on a worst hand in poker.  You have no chance of wining.  Atheism is an unintelligent and illogical choice.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »
Arctic Fox.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Hammster

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 07:34:00 AM »
Northwood makes both the "Fox" and Nash lines. Similar "4 season" and rugged construction in both with Fox having aluminum framing and Nash using wood. It looks like there are 3 dealers listed in Texas so that may be of help.

http://northwoodmfg.com/more/dealer-locator/

If you can narrow down which brand/model you want you can then search that way and find used models.
2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali. 6.6L Diesel. 4x4
Arctic Fox 22G.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 08:51:58 AM »
Denver is probably the closest bet for an Outdoors RV dealer. They sometimes come up on the used market all over the place, but it is a small manufacturer, as is Northwoods, so not as many as the big volume guys. Our son is just the standard model, and we haul it on gravel roads all over the place. No problems in the three years we've had it. The new Mountain and Backcountry series are even more rugged. Note that the Northwoods and Outdoors RV models generally cost more than the competitors because of the way they are built. It was worth it to us. Which ever one you get, make sure it is liveable for you. We ended up with ORV because we didn't like the Arctic Fox floorplans. You may or may not.
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

johnhoward

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:33:46 AM »
Denver is probably the closest bet for an Outdoors RV dealer. They sometimes come up on the used market all over the place, but it is a small manufacturer, as is Northwoods, so not as many as the big volume guys. Our son is just the standard model, and we haul it on gravel roads all over the place. No problems in the three years we've had it. The new Mountain and Backcountry series are even more rugged. Note that the Northwoods and Outdoors RV models generally cost more than the competitors because of the way they are built. It was worth it to us. Which ever one you get, make sure it is liveable for you. We ended up with ORV because we didn't like the Arctic Fox floorplans. You may or may not.

Yes, I am having real problems with the Arctic Fox Floor Plans.  I will take a look at Outdoor RVs floor plans and see if I like them better.  I am not in a financial position to buy new, but I have the cash to pay for one in the 15K range (Just sold off my old rig (Truck and RV).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:43:52 AM by johnhoward »

johnhoward

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 11:48:29 AM »
I have been looking at Outdoor RV models but can't find a single one in a bunkhouse design.  Do you know if that made a bunkhouse?

Hammster

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »
I have been looking at Outdoor RV models but can't find a single one in a bunkhouse design.  Do you know if that made a bunkhouse?

Yes, the Black Rock 23BKS is a bunkhouse model.
http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/black-rock/

Other bunkhouse models in this link.
http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/brochure_travel_trailers-1.pdf
Arctic Fox 22G.

johnhoward

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 06:11:01 AM »
Okay. Had to go do some work and other stuff. I had done a massive amount of research today trying to find models to look for.

It seems that that either the floor plans I like, were not made until the last couple years, or I don't know the names of the models that had the same floor plan five or six yeas ago. When I search for the models that have the floor plans I want, all I get is results for brand new RVs. Can anyone here tell my if there are older models with these floor plans? Please.

OUTDOORS RV MOUNTAIN SERIES MOUNTAIN TIMBER RIDGE 23DBS

http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TR-23DBS-1024x540.png

Northwood RV Nash 29S

http://northwoodmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/nash-29S-1.png

Outdoor RV 27DBHS

http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TR-27DBHS-1024x457.png

Now I prefer the 23DHS to the 29S or 27DBHS because it is shorter, but you can see the basic floor plan I am after. I want a a slide out and a full size a bunk bed. I also want a private wall for the master queen bed.

Are there any older models of either Outdoors RV or Northwoods that have these same models?

Hammster

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 07:39:48 AM »
John, you might ask this question on the Northwood forum. Could be a good idea to start a new thread with this question. It's a bit more focused group and there are some longtime customers there that may have owned the older models you are looking for. Guess you've given up on Willy's 29V? 

I will also say that you can call Northwood direct. They are so friendly and welcoming and would likely help you in your search.
Arctic Fox 22G.

johnhoward

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 05:58:53 AM »
Thank you.  I am over there on that forum as well.  I was originally going to buy Willy's Fox, because it was the closest fox to me that I could get to and right on my intended travel route to California.  Even though It was not desired floor plan, I felt that I might be able to remove the couch and build a bunk bed in it's place.  But that was before I stumbled up on the floor plans with the 50" wide double bunk beds.  As soon as I saw it, I was like.  That is exactly what I want.  Yesterday I traveled up to Lubbock for a doctors appointment and stopped in at a huge RV Dealer and looked at a heartland that had the same double full size bunks.  Oh Yeah!  That is what I want.  No question about it.  Now I just have to find one in a Northwood or Outdoors RV model that I can afford.  The Outdoor RV Timber Ridge 23BHS and the 27BHS have the design I want.  I prefer the 23BHS to the 27BHS, but at this point, I will take either one.  My problem is that these designs appear to be brand new and they are way out of my price range.  So I have been spending hours trying go back and look at historical designs to find this same floor plan, but so far I am striking out.  The Arctic Fox is what I would really like to have but, I don't think Northwood ever made an Arctic Fox with a bunkhouse floorplan.  At least I have not been able to find one and no one over on the Northwood forum has chimed in with an AF the does either.  There are some Nash models that do have bunks, but they are the 28" wide child bunks.  I could live with that, but I would rather 50" bunks if I can get that.  I am just trying to future proof my buy at this point.  I plan to use this RV heavily for family trips and I have two married children and grandkids.  We are a very close family that likes to do things together when we can.  I just sold off our last TT for the very reason that it had no place for anyone other then my wife and I and our one remaining child at home to sleep. 

Hammster

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 08:30:35 AM »
An interesting Nash model is the 18L. It has a corner queen bed and can have a bunk above the queen bed. In addition, the sofa and dinette make into beds. Not 100% sure if it has a slideout. That seems minor to me as we don't care for slideouts (big hole in the wall that leaks, among other things). I've seen some 2013 and 14 models at the high end of your budget, but nothing local to you. Could be worth a more exhaustive search or even a drive if close enough.
Arctic Fox 22G.

johnhoward

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 05:06:41 PM »
Okay.  I have settled on an "Outdoors RV" product.  They have the floor plans I want.  I like the Back Country line.  I can find several in my price range but they are all up in Oregon and Washington.   I need to find one somewhere Texas and California.  Where is the best place to find units for sale?  RVTraders only has brand new units.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 10:54:15 PM »
Sent you a PM.
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

Hosted by Over The Network