ELEC ISSUES PUMA 5TH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobcri7

Hi, new to this site.  Half my ac outlets are not working, half are.  Bat not charging. ac and fridge are also not working.  Just funny that some ac outlets are working.  just cannot figure it out.  any help would be appreciated.  2004 puma 27 5th wheel, no generator.  bob

Hi Bob. Welcome to the RVForum. You didn't mention what, if any, troubleshooting you've done, so I'll mention some basics. When a string of A/C outlets stops working, the first thing I suspect is a GFI. Have you checked them? The AC unit will certainly have its own circuit breaker, and I'd suggest that you flip it to the off position, then back on. The AC unit runs on 120 volts A/C, but the thermistat that controls it needs 12 volts D/C. Do your 12 volt lights and water pump work? Does your fridge work when you switch it to LP?

Kev

Hi, thank you so much for the help.
I did check the GFI outlets, they are good and work.
A/C does not work
DC lights do not work, battery is fairly new, but does not seem to be charging.
I have not tried the fridge yet on LP, it does not work on AC
How long do the converters usually last.
thanks again
bob

Based on what you've told us, I'd recommend checking the converter's voltage output. It should be 13+ volts but I suspect you're only going to see low battery voltage - meaning the converter is not working. You can measure its output right at the battery terminals. Make sure the shore-power cord is plugged in before testing. Some converters are better than others and will last longer than others, so it's hard to generalize how long they'll last. 

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Based on what you've told us, I'd recommend checking the converter's voltage output. It should be 13+ volts but I suspect you're only going to see low battery voltage - meaning the converter is not working. You can measure its output right at the battery terminals. Make sure the shore-power cord is plugged in before testing. Some converters are better than others and will last longer than others, so it's hard to generalize how long they'll last. 

Kev

Agree with Kev except I would disconnect one of the battery cables to check the output. If you leave it connected, it could maybe give you a false reading of the output. Disconnect the negative cable/

Thank you, going up to lake on saturday to work on it.
have a great day

If you have had the battery cables off recently, check the reverse polarity fuses that a lot of converters have. If they blow you will lose the converter output.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom