Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both the current Gen4 Hughes and Exede are spot beamed satellite services designed only for fixed location use. Spot beams limit the coverage to a relatively small geographical area, and moving from spot to spot presents some significant difficulties. There are a couple of companies that offer equipment and plans suited to RV use, but the equipment is costly at about $6000 for an automatic roof mounted system, or $1000 for a tripod mounted manually aimed system. Figure on 45-60 minutes to set up and aim the manual system at each location. Then there are the limited data plans and speeds available, along with extended lag times that pretty much rule out any online gaming. Overall, cell services offer much better speeds and data for a lot less money, so unless you absolutely need Internet service in one of the few locations where cell service is not available even with a top of the line signal booster, then satellite Internet is not generally a good choice for RV'ers. That may change when one of the new low earth orbit multiple sat systems becomes active in a couple of years or so, but not now...

IMHO the ATT Moberly beats any  other option hands down at the moment.

Jeff said:
IMHO the ATT Moberly beats any  other option hands down at the moment.

Jeff - is that a misspelling? I googled AT&T Moberly and found only their store in Moberly, MO. Are you talking about a service or something to buy for the coach?

John Stephens said:
Jeff - is that a misspelling? I googled AT&T Moberly and found only their store in Moberly, MO. Are you talking about a service or something to buy for the coach?

It's the AT&T $20 per month Connected Car Unlimited plan using the ZTE Mobley plus a power adapter so you can use it without having to plug it into a car's OBD2 port. Take a look at this thread ....

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,103863.0

pz said:
On a different but related note, if you subscribe to both ATT and DirectTv you can smartcast your DirectTv programming (from your phone to your smart TV) as much as you like all without incurring any impact to your data usage. Essentially you can watch whatever you normally watch on the road without any additional cost.

Does this work with the Mobley? 

taoshum said:
Does this work with the Mobley?

I honestly do not know, but if your TV can connect to the hot spot then I would think it might work (worth a try if you already have it).

The way mine works is that I have a router in the fiver and both the TV and the phone connect to it to do the smartcast.

NY_Dutch said:
Our current primary Internet source is an AT&T "Mobley" device that's intended to be plugged into a vehicle's OBD2 diagnostics port for power. There are several sources for external USB, 12-volt, and 120-volt power supplies for it though. AT&T offers a "Connected Car" unlimited 4G/LTE data plan for the Mobley at just $20/month currently, and the Mobley device is $99 outright or free with a 2-year contract. We also have a Verizon Jetpack on board that's been "flashed" by a grey market vendor to accept an unlimited 3G data plan at $5/month. We keep the Jetpack active just in case we find an area with poor or no AT&T signal. But that hasn't happened yet, and we also have a Maximum Signal Max Amp RV cell signal booster to hopefully make sure it never does. We never use the almost always slow or unreliable park WiFi.

Right after I posted my question I purchased the ZTE Mobley. Received it today and will see how it works. So between that and my Verizon plan I have at least 40 GB a month for my business.

Thanks for the tips, I will take a look at the "flashed" Verizon Jetpack that you mentioned and also look into getting a signal booster for cell networks.

Bill N said:
Now there is an explanation that I could totally understand.  Thanks for the good info Lou.  As with all good things, I wonder how long it will last especially that $20 per month price.

Well when I just purchased mine this past week it states this when checking out...

Connected Car Unlimited
Access to AT&T nationwide 4G LTE network. All data plans include unlimited usage on the entire national AT&T Wi-Fi HotSpot network.

After 22GB of data usage, AT&T may slow speeds

So it's truly not unlimited. But after research people haven't had any problems when they go over. I will be sure to let everyone know because I'll probably go over quickly with my business.

So here's my setup so far...

AT&T Mobley with the $20 a month Connected Car Unlimited.
https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html
That will give me at least 22GB of data.

I purchased this adapter so I could plug the mobley device into a regular outlet
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-for-AT-T-ZTE-Mobley-OBD-2-LTE-Wi-Fi-Hotspot-Device/252880212700?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I opted to do for the AC adapter as the usb ones had bad reviews.

Then I have 16GB of data on my Verizon Plan.

Also, wifi at our first location for 30 days. Not sure how it will be though. Wish me luck.

There is a starbucks across the way from the park so wondering if I might be able to hook up onto their signal if needed...

Does anyone think it's worth having a wifi extender? And is there one you recommend?

Thanks!

We are moving into an RV next week so excited for the adventure!

knowmatic said:
So here's my setup so far...

AT&T Mobley with the $20 a month Connected Car Unlimited.
https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html
That will give me at least 22GB of data.

I purchased this adapter so I could plug the mobley device into a regular outlet
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-for-AT-T-ZTE-Mobley-OBD-2-LTE-Wi-Fi-Hotspot-Device/252880212700?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I opted to do for the AC adapter as the usb ones had bad reviews.

Then I have 16GB of data on my Verizon Plan.

Also, wifi at our first location for 30 days. Not sure how it will be though. Wish me luck.

There is a starbucks across the way from the park so wondering if I might be able to hook up onto their signal if needed...

Does anyone think it's worth having a wifi extender? And is there one you recommend?

Thanks!

We are moving into an RV next week so excited for the adventure!

Will be interested to know how well it works for you.

knowmatic said:
Well when I just purchased mine this past week it states this when checking out...

Connected Car Unlimited
Access to AT&T nationwide 4G LTE network. All data plans include unlimited usage on the entire national AT&T Wi-Fi HotSpot network.

After 22GB of data usage, AT&T may slow speeds

So it's truly not unlimited. But after research people haven't had any problems when they go over. I will be sure to let everyone know because I'll probably go over quickly with my business.

If there's no limit on the amount of data that can be transferred with the plan, how is that not "unlimited"? True, there may be short periods when that data will not transfer as fast as you might like, but that's still not a limit on the amount of data transferred.

I've been thrilled with mine so far, with speeds mostly in the 3-10+ Mbps range, occasionally in the 1-2 range. We have had times when we didn't have AT&T coverage (or it's been so slow as to be virtually unusable) and had to fall back on our 3G Verizon mifi. Regretfully, one of the places we don't have AT&T coverage is at home, complete AT&T black hole or I would drop our Cox cable like a hot rock.

We have 3 granddaughters helping us use data and are at 51GB with Moberly right now. We seem.to get 3G about 60% of the time and are sitting across the Hudson from  Manhattan. A speed test  last night at 8:30PM showed 3.2MPS. Until we got here I hadn't noticed any speed restrictions.

Our Mobley speeds have typically been in the 20-30Mbps range, but we've also seen it drop to 3-5Mbps in some areas. So far, we've yet to be anywhere with no AT&T service, but I'm sure our Max Amp RV cell booster is responsible for some of that success.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6484104254

Attachments

• 6484104254.png
    6484104254.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom