generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnaDoll

i was told my rv needed a generator if i get on which is a good one for it and where would i put it on my midas mini

AnnaDoll said:
i was told my rv needed a generator if i get on which is a good one for it and where would i put it on my midas mini

You do not need a generator unless you are going to boondock. (camping without services). If you're always going to have services, no need for one.
It is good to have water in your fresh water tank so you can use the water system (toilet and sinks) while traveling until you get to the campground.

If your Old Midas originally had a generator but it is missing or not working, you would need to find the same model in a salvage yard or deal with a lot of renovation to make a new one fit & work. And the cost is likely to be thousands of dollars.  You probably don't need one anyway, as Rene already explained. If you do want generator capability, the most cost effective solution would be to buy a small portable type, e.g. a Honda or Yamaha "suitcase style" genset and just tote it out when needed.  Not practical for use as you drive, but fine after you arrive.

The questions you are asking about this old Midas motorhome is giving me bad vibes.  It appears you know little about Rvs in general or this particular one and its equipment, and perhaps haven't seen it or tested the operation of its many components.  I hope someone hasn't sold you "a pig in a poke", because an old RV can be a real money pit, even if you do all the work yourself. If you have to pay RV dealer prices for labor and parts, it can quickly become a financial disaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke

ive been searching midas rvs but i come up with nothing i know the rv runs but i also know it needs some work thus why asking alot of questions

AnnaDoll said:
ive been searching midas rvs but i come up with nothing i know the rv runs but i also know it needs some work thus why asking alot of questions
This is the right place for questions. Please try to be as detailed as you can and pictures are nice too.
Did you ask the person you are getting it from? or don't they know either?

I think Midas was a make of class C motorhomes from the 80's and I don't think they usually came with generators.

i am tryimg to get more info on the rv the owners are out of town at the moment so at this moment i cant even tell you the actual year it was made but when i do i will post tons of pictures i only saw it sunday for the first time inside. i was going to take lots of pictures but forgot.

I agree with the others. If you don't know what to look for while inspecting, and aren't really handy with tools, I would recommend that you give up on this also. It is quite possible and very likely that you will spend a lot of money trying to get everything working. A lot more than just buying an RV that is decent from the point of purchase. RV's like the one you are looking at are generally received by folks that just want to take on a project, knowing they will get little in return except the self satisfaction that they restored/reworked something.

im not the one working on it my husband will be when i know more i will decide om whether its a good investmemt or not.

Be sure of one thing: buying an RV is NOT an investment, it is an expense. (There is no return on it, it will cost money and it only depreciates...)

Onan seems to be the "go to" brand but if you are just needing it for lighting and small appliances, perhaps a small 1000 watt portable unit will suffice, Honda make a VERY QUITE 1000 watt unit that will handle most small items but NO A/C. 

Excellent info gents  :))

Next season I'm planning to replace my tires with Goodyear Endurance tires, which they claim are the only trailer tires made in the USA. I'm tired of the junk coming out of China. For example, last year I bought LED rope lights from Costco (claimed life of about 10 years). They lasted one season. These days I'm looking for anything made in the good 'ol USA, and will go with that every time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom