Ham radio primarily for emergency use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was an ET stationed at NSS, in Annapolis Maryland from 1963 to 1967. We were a transmitter site that broadcast to ships and submarines at sea around the world.

We had about 100 high power transmitters from VLF to UHF. Most were 40 KW with directional antennas and a couple flat tops.

Once a year they allowed ham operators to come on base and use the 20KW transmitters.  Those guys were ecstatic!! 

The FCC provides documents that have all the test questions with answers. If you have any sort of memory you can easily pass the technician class exam.

https://hamstudy.org/

DonTom said:
Well, then I can never get the mode incorrect. You will see why if you check my logbook.

That's because I only work CW! 100% of my QSOs have been on CW since I started my two logbooks (AA6GA & AA6GA/7) on QRZ.com.

73, -Don-  AA6GA/7  Reno, NV

Interesting Don,

Have you thought of exploring the new digital radio world? It takes some special understanding on how the internet works but with prop conditions being what they are I am pleased that we have that option.

I learned code as a military radio operator and see a place for it but for me I want to explore all the modes.  I am happy for you that you found your niche and enjoy CW contacts.

My first radios were Heathkit transmitters and receivers.  Not much beats building your own equipment.

pigman said:
Interesting Don,

Have you thought of exploring the new digital radio world? It takes some special understanding on how the internet works but with prop conditions being what they are I am pleased that we have that option.
What type of "new" digital radio are you referring to?

pigman said:
I learned code as a military radio operator and see a place for it but for me I want to explore all the modes.
Well, I knew the code very well before I got drafted. So after we had our army testing and I did better than anybody else in my company, of course, the army put me in the infantry and sent me to Vietnam where I had nothing to do with radio.
pigman said:
My first radios were Heathkit transmitters and receivers.  Not much beats building your own equipment.
My first transmitters I designed and built myself. Mainly from parts from old tube TV sets. I also built a few HeatKits, DX60, DX100, etc. But these days it's way too easy for me just to buy everything already built.  Even my antennas! (DX Engineering portable vertical dipole, DXE-TW series here in Reno, a G5RV dipole in Auburn, CA. My rig at each places is a Yaesu FTdx1200.

When I was a teenager, I had more time than money. That has reversed over the years. I now  have trouble finding enough time for my many hobbies as it is.

73, -Don-  AA6GA

Hi,
  I have a dual band in the truck and an all mode portable station with me.  I enjoy the occasional conversation while driving.  There is usually someone monitoring 146.52
  One thing cool about ham radio is all the different modes that are available.  You can use the traditional over the air, or you can hit a local digital repeater and talk worldwide from your handheld.
  I tend to do quite a bit of psk-31 on HF.  It's power to distance ratio is outstanding. 

Greg
KB6M

Sun2Retire said:
Now, I understand the test is easy and the equipment cheap. Still enamored, but I'm also thinking ham might be a good idea for emergencies where there's no cell coverage. Good idea?
Yes, no more morse code exam, yes very cheap equipment now, and yes perfect when no cell coverage (plenty of rescue cases in remote areas) and much better than cb limited legally to 4 watts  ;D
My recommendation, get a cheap handheld such as a baofeng https://goo.gl/BYjavH  listen to Hams in your areas, study the very easy test for a Technician license  ;) Then, talk on the air to fellow Hams in your areas, get the General licence which is very easy to get. Then, get a better radio and talk to friends all over the world  8)

Back
Top Bottom