12 volt converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chucksands77

Hello everyone.....new member here. Can't wait to learn from you know-ledgable people ! I just bought a 1999 Itasca (by Winnie) and as we are going thru all the system and making a list, we have found that the 12 volt system does not work when 110 power is not being provided (Gen or Shoreline). I can hear a clicking sound (towards the driver door) when the shoreline is plugged in and out but cannot seem to locate the converter device. Not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ! Wanting to make a maiden voyage very soon. Chuck in Florida.         

Since you have 12V when plugged into shore power, your converter is working.  It sounds like you have a dead battery.  If you don't have a volt meter to check voltages you need one.  Walmart, Home Depot have them for under $20. 

BTW, what model RV do you have?

Post a pic of the breaker panel, lot of coachs had the converter in the bottom of the breaker panel. It does sound like you either have no battery, bad battery, or maybe the disconnect solenoid maybe disconnected. What model of Itasca do you have?

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

Thanks for the replies ! I installed brand new batteries 2 days ago so it is something other than that I am sure. I do have 12 volt service when the shoreline is plugged in but none when its not...same with generator. Our Itasca model is a Sunflyer 1FL36L (1999yr). It would appear that some sort of auto switch inside the converter is not engaging when 110v is no longer provided. If I could fine the secret hidden location of this converter, I think that I could figure out from there. The 12v fuse panel is at the floor level under the frig. Thanks Again for any assistance !     

Again, your converter is working, as evidenced by having 12 volt power when plugged in to shore power. There is no "auto switch" on the converter. Look around for a battery disconnect switch, usually by the entrance door. Follow the battery cables, and one of them will probably lead to a solenoid that is used to disconnect the batteries when in storage, that is operated by the aforementioned switch. The converter is most likely behind the power distribution center where your 12 volt fuses and 120 volt breakers are located. It may be a built in part of the distribution center, or a stand alone unit mounted really close by. Turn on a as much 12 volt loads as you can, and listen for the converter's cooling fan.

If you go HERE  you can download all sorts of info about your rig including wiring and plumbing diagrams.

Winnebago often puts the converter under the refrigerator or behind one of the drawers under the sink.

Again, greatly appreciate the info folks. I did also want to mention that on the drivers dash is a switch that is for "main battery" for starting the V-10 gas engine and the aux batteries for using the radio when shut down. When I hit that switch, I can hear something trying to switch over but again, it is not doing so because the dash radio does not work when engine if off. I will look some more for a 12 volt main disconnect switch. Not sure why this would be installed other than when in storage/winterized...?         

Chucksands77 said:
.  I will look some more for a 12 volt main disconnect switch. Not sure why this would be installed other than when in storage/winterized...?         

That's exactly what it is for.

When I hit that switch, I can hear something trying to switch over but again, it is not doing so because the dash radio does not work when engine if off.
If you hear it, it switched ok. Your expectations are what is wrong!  First, that is a momentary switch - it makes a connection only while the button is held down. It disconnects as soon as you release the switch. Second, it does not override the ignition key setting or anything else. It merely connects the house batteries in parallel with the chassis battery. It does not alter when or how the dash radio receives power (or not).

As others have stated, its your batteries that are offline and the converter in a '99 has nothing to do with that. The converter/charger produces 12v power for usage in the house circuits and also charges the batteries whenever shore power is available. It is basically wired in parallel with the house batteries.

If you would provide the make/model of the power panel that has the DC fuses, we could be a bit more specific. The specific model of Itasca coach would also help - they are not all the same!

Back
Top Bottom