Removal of analog TV in 2002 Adventurer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

I plan on replacing the 25 inch RCA analog TV in my 2002 Adventurer in the near future.  But I need a bit of guidance on how to remove the plastic/fiberglass molding that surrounds the TV on the front.  I cannot seem to find any readily accessible screws or bolts to start the removal process.  Thanks for any tips.

Bill

John Hilley said:
Have you looked at the Sticky at the top of this forum

Survey of CRT to LCD Replacements
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,23316.0.html

There are bolts accessable from the side compartments that are the main things holding it

Thanks John.  Yes, I did look at the Survey and even erroneously posted to it before realizing it was for completed replacements.  I must have missed the info I was looking for as there are numerous posts.  Thanks for the info on the bolts.

Bill

I put a 32 inch Samsung on a pivot mount and a Polk 5500 soundbar with subwoofer after removing the boat anchor CRT. Easy install and awesome sound. The soundbar has Bluetooth so my iPod plays through it. I can send you some pics if you want.

penman39 said:
I put a 32 inch Samsung on a pivot mount and a Polk 5500 soundbar with subwoofer after removing the boat anchor CRT. Easy install and awesome sound. The soundbar has Bluetooth so my iPod plays through it. I can send you some pics if you want.
Thanks so much.  I see you have the same coach so I would welcome photos.  Also any description you may have of removing the CRT, at least the beginning of getting to the monster.  John Hilley mentions removing bolts from inside the side cabinets.  Anything you care to add would be appreciated.  If you need an email I will send it via PM.  Thanks again.

Bill

After removing that trim piece, I removed the metal U bracket holding the tv down and wrestled the bad boy out. That bracket was re-purposed to mount the Polk soundbar. I mounted this mount, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00393KNVQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to the passenger side of the metal enclosure. When I bought the mount in 2015 it was only $25 on Amazon so you should probably look for a similar one that has enough reach to allow you to center the TV. I keep tension on the mount with a bungee cord. The Polk subwoofer sits in the space behind the TV and soundbar. I will try to get some pictures posted in the next few days. I have attached a picture of the finished project.

Attachments

• RVTV.JPG
    RVTV.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 86
Bill,

Here are two shots of the mount for the tv and soundbar. I added a small cross piece to the metal housing for the TV arm and added two wood shims to the upper and mid swivel bracket mounts to keep level. I used self tapping sheet metal screws in three places. For the soundbar I used the top CRT tv bracket as my mount for the soundbar. I used all thread and bolts welded together to hold the soundbar to the bracket. I had to file/sand down the bolt heads to fit the keyhole slots in the back of the soundbar. I added two pieces of Velcro to the lower back of the TV to grip the RV trim piece. This helps to keep the TV from moving up and down when traveling.

Attachments

• RV_TV.JPG
    RV_TV.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 83
  • RV_TV1.JPG
    RV_TV1.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 77
To poke in here.. What is a good size TV to go with? Bigger the better right? lol
John

In our motorhome, we have a 39" directly across from the couch. Our slide is a shallow slide, so we are seated fairly close to the TV. For us, 39" is too big. When I'm watching TV, I like to be able to view the whole screen without having to move my head or eyes consciously just to see what's on the screen. We have a 32" on the outside entertainment system. I'm thinking about switching them around.

jtsboss said:
To poke in here.. What is a good size TV to go with? Bigger the better right? lol
John

Thanks Carl and John for all the info.  I have a new 32" Vizio that will be installed.

Bill

Cool, NP Can't wait to see a few pics. I have an 02 also and have yet to pull that thing out. Its on my list every time I sit down in there I'm like "Oh Yea, I wanted to change that"  ::)
John

Well I finally got around to using the cooler weather to start this project.  I found that there are only four screws (two in each side cabinet) holding the front trim piece on but I was well on my way to removing a lot of unnecessary screws before I noticed the trim piece was loose...lol.  Now I see that the TV is just held down by the cross bar at the top with a bolt on each end.  Looks like I remove that and lift the TV a bit and slide it out.  I also found that I can get a hand in back of the cabinet before removing the TV and that will help unhook the wiring.  I am not sure about the weight so I will wait until my son can help me lift that big old bugger out as I would hate to drop it and ruin the dashboard.

I also removed the entire switchbox (box of many buttons) in order to figure out all the correct connections.  My Dish installer had done a bit of changing those cables around when we hooked up for the Tailgater and removed a nonfunctioning VCR.  It was just easier to take the box out and figure  out the connections without trying to do it all with a mirror in a tight space.  Only have two cables left to figure out and I hope to find out their original when the TV comes out - hopefully one goes to the back TV.  Since I did buy a analog to digital converter a while back and it has never been installed I may either use it on the bedroom TV until I get around to replacing that one.

I really thank you folks for all the help particularly John Hilley, Carl and the person who gave me the three color codes on the cables (on another thread) - that helped immensely.

Bill

A couple of things:
-If you haven't bought the TV yet, pay atten in to where the speakers are mounted. Some are downfiring (good), And others are rear firing (bad). If you end up with a rear firing set, be prepared for a sound bar as well.

-Unless on an articulated mount, it's not going to be easy to access the rear of the TV, so bring out everything you think you will ever need. I have 2 HDMI cables, a USB Extension cable, and component analog cables brought out and coiled in the cabinet. Bring AlL the HDMI jacks out since that's now the way the world rolls.. one never knows.

- Also think about extending HDMI to the rear TV. You may not think you need it now, but since you've torn into the rear of that space it might not be a bad time to install an active HDMI splitter and lace the cable out and on its way to the back

SCVJeff said:
A couple of things:
-If you haven't bought the TV yet, pay atten in to where the speakers are mounted. Some are downfiring (good), And others are rear firing (bad). If you end up with a rear firing set, be prepared for a sound bar as well.

-Unless on an articulated mount, it's not going to be easy to access the rear of the TV, so bring out everything you think you will ever need. I have 2 HDMI cables, a USB Extension cable, and component analog cables brought out and coiled in the cabinet. Bring AlL the HDMI jacks out since that's now the way the world rolls.. one never knows.

- Also think about extending HDMI to the rear TV. You may not think you need it now, but since you've torn into the rear of that space it might not be a bad time to install an active HDMI splitter and lace the cable out and on its way to the back

Thanks Jeff.  I  printed your post out for future use.  I bought a 32 inch Vizio TV just before I started this thread so that is what I will use.  It is equipped for a sound bar so I can get sound if the speakers are not in the rear (TV is in coach in storage at present).

Bill

I love my Polk 5500 soundbar w/subwooefer. It has Bluetooth so I can play my iPhone or iPod or iPad through it. That thing rocks and makes TV watching feel like you are in the movie theater. Amazing sound  throughout the whole tonal range.

penman39 said:
I love my Polk 5500 soundbar w/subwooefer. It has Bluetooth so I can play my iPhone or iPod or iPad through it. That thing rocks and makes TV watching feel like you are in the movie theater. Amazing sound  throughout the whole tonal range.

Carl do you or did you have the surround sound? I wondered how it was piped into the TV.
JT

The Polk soundbar has several inputs. Input one is an optical cable from my Samsung TV to the soundbar. The TV remote controls the soundbar volume.

penman39 said:
The Polk soundbar has several inputs. Input one is an optical cable from my Samsung TV to the soundbar. The TV remote controls the soundbar volume.

Sorry I ment, I have the surround sound that came with the coach. There are 3 speakers up front 1 in the back by the table and two subs in the wall. I take it you did not have this setup first?
JT

Back
Top Bottom