finding gas in New England

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agman

Since there are no Flying J's, just how hard is it to find gas stations in NY, VT, NH and ME that can accommodate a 34' gas driven RV?

Most gas stations like those at Walmart, Costco, etc, will handle a 34' motorhome.  You do need to drive carefully though. 

There is a recent trend in the Northeast to place gas pumps perpendicular to the building instead of parallel, so access can be difficult. They can pack in more pumps in the same amount of space. I can think of several service plazas that have been torn down and rebuilt with this configuration.

Occasionally, we've had to pull in and back out with the motorhome. Maybe check Google Earth or MapQuest for a photo of the gas station before making a commitment.

Not very hard. There are service stations in the rest areas on the mass pike and almost all of route 90. We're up here every year with a 37' and have no issues with it.

We just got back from up there... No problem getting gas, but price a little higher than here in VA. Just have to shop around. 

I will say, stay out of Kennebunkport! We stopped, parked 25' rv on a side street to walk to the Clam Shack. On our return 45 min later, in what was marked as hour parking, we find a $25.00 parking ticket on the windshield. Note said "no rv parking allowed in town." Only car tourists wanted there I guess! -Chet

You could benefit by getting a copy of The RVer's Friend which lists diesel stations along major highways in all the states.  I know you said gas, but the diesel stations also have gas so it works for you as well.  Another publication is the Next Exit for use on interstate highways.  The businesses that can handle parking for large RVs are printed in red.  We take it with us even when traveling in the car because it lists fuel stops, restaurants, car repair locations, retailers, and the other places used by travelers including some campgrounds and medical facilities.

ArdraF

I answered in the same topic in the Destinations board.  It's not necessary to double post in the RV Forum.

ArdraF

agman said:
Since there are no Flying J's, just how hard is it to find gas stations in NY, VT, NH and ME that can accommodate at 34' gas driven RV?
agman
Not to worry.....finding a gas station that can accommodate a 34' gas driven RV is no more difficult in NY, VT, NH and ME than in other states.

I' ve merged both topics so all responses appear in one place.

Rte 93 has very large travel plazas near the tolls just south of Concord, NH. They do get crazy busy during weekends (Friday on). Much easier to navigate if you can avoid the peak times. The plazas have restrooms, dog walks, some food, a store, and giant state liquor store outlets.

The big box stores don't often have gas with them the way most other places do (Sams, BJs.)

There is a Pilot in Bow, NH on Rte 3. It is also south of Concord. On the sea coast, with access to 95, there is a TA truck stop in Greenland between the tolls and Portsmouth.

There may not be many/any Flying J's but there are lots of their parent company Pilots, as well as Irving Big Stops which used to have some type of relationship with them and used to issue their points, plus many other stations that cater to large rigs.  We have traveled though out New England and never had difficulty.

Ed

With our 5th wheel and truck we're close to 60ft long and have never had a problem anywhere.  I usually have my navigator (wife) search I Exit app on her phone when I'm down to 100 miles reserve.

Like others have noted, it should not be a problem especially if you are traveling interstate routes. We have not had any trouble - I look for the exits that list gas stations indicating they sell diesel and/or are 24 hours - these seem to be big enough for the big rigs.  I also look for exits with more than one station listed - more choice for the layout and my theory is the pricing might be more competitive though I have not studied this carefully. I believe the price for the gas at service plaza's that are right on the interstate are generally higher.  I also noted New Jersey prices seem to be much higher than surrounding states and there is no self serve in NJ. If I see any good spots and I am 1/2 tank or less, I take advantage!

I'm guessing that New Jersey just had a gasoline tax increase. We've always planned on getting gas in New Jersey, jumping off the highway at Port Jervis and crossing the border. We did that last month and found the prices to be higher than anything found in CT, NY, PA, MA or NH.

HappyWanderer said:
I'm guessing that New Jersey just had a gasoline tax increase. We've always planned on getting gas in New Jersey, jumping off the highway at Port Jervis and crossing the border. We did that last month and found the prices to be higher than anything found in CT, NY, PA, MA or NH.

I always topped of at Port Jervis as well but NJ hiked the tax a lot, now fill in NY and MD.  My home state is PA which has the highest fuel taxes in the nation, so I buy out of state 100% of the time.

lynnmor said:
I always topped of at Port Jervis as well but NJ hiked the tax a lot, now fill in NY and MD.  My home state is PA which has the highest fuel taxes in the nation, so I buy out of state 100% of the time.

I'll have to remember that for our trip to FL. We use to stop at Port Jervis also. We always took Exit 1 and fueled up at Valero. Have to see now if we can go further to find another fuel stop. Anyone have any recommendations?

Rene T said:
I'll have to remember that for our trip to FL. We use to stop at Port Jervis also. We always took Exit 1 and fueled up at Valero. Have to see now if we can go further to find another fuel stop. Anyone have any recommendations?

What route do you take Rene? Delaware usually has decent prices, but most folks go toward the West because it's faster, easier, etc.

kdbgoat said:
What route do you take Rene? Delaware usually has decent prices, but most folks go toward the West because it's faster, easier, etc.

From 90 west, I take 84 west over to 81 south then pick up 64 east mover to Richmond.

Back
Top Bottom