Generator runs 30 minutes, shuts off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mweber (KC9NPT)

My Onan NHE 6500 just started with this problem. Starts fine and will run for 30 minutes with a/c on. Shuts off and will restart if I wait about 3 minutes and runs for another 30 or so minutes. If I try to start it before the 3 minutes, starter cranks but engine won't catch. Gas tank is over 3/4, oil is full, new air cleaner, so I'm at a loss.

mweber (KC9NPT) said:
My Onan NHE 6500 just started with this problem. Starts fine and will run for 30 minutes with a/c on. Shuts off and will restart if I wait about 3 minutes and runs for another 30 or so minutes. If I try to start it before the 3 minutes, starter cranks but engine won't catch. Gas tank is over 3/4, oil is full, new air cleaner, so I'm at a loss.

I wonder if the low oil level sensor may be acting up. When the block heats up, things inside the sensor may expand breaking the circuit causing the shut down. When it has time to cool, the circuit closes allowing it to start. I'm sure there must be a way to bypass the sensor to troubleshoot.

supermanotorious said:
usually you can simply disconnect the low oil sensor to bypass it

If there were two wires going to the sensor, wouldn't you need to connect them together after disconnecting from the sensor?

Rene T said:
I wonder if the low oil level sensor may be acting up. When the block heats up, things inside the sensor may expand breaking the circuit causing the shut down. When it has time to cool, the circuit closes allowing it to start. I'm sure there must be a way to bypass the sensor to troubleshoot.

Iwouldn't think 2 -3 minutes would let it cool enough to run for another half hour, but I'll look into that.

Rene T said:
If there were two wires going to the sensor, wouldn't you need to connect them together after disconnecting from the sensor?

maybe, even probably, but- you'd know immediately because you wouldn't get spark with one, admittedly I've only done this on engines with single wire to the sensor

supermanotorious said:
maybe, even probably, but- you'd know immediately because you wouldn't get spark with one, admittedly I've only done this on engines with single wire to the sensor

With one wire setup, would you need to connect it top a good ground

Service manual available at http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/940-0502%20Onan%20NHE-NHEL%20(spec%20A-C)%20RV%20Genset%20Service%20Manual%20(07-1987).pdf

Vapor lock of some sort seems like a possibility.  2-3 minutes is enough for a fuel line to cool a bit and condense back to liquid fuel.

Question: Is it exactly 30 minutes, and is it the exact same interval each time?  Some of the later spec level Onans have timed checks for things like temperature sensors, so that they can detect failed sensors. For example, if a sensor report is missing or unchanged for xx minutes, it might shut down.

mweber (KC9NPT) said:
Sorry, forgot to post what I did.  Genny had synthetic oil in it. I drained it and put in straight SAE 30 and problem so far has been solved.

I would suspect that the oil was foaming but synthetics are not supposed to do that.......would the resistance be different and throw off the sensor??

elbeau54, are those sensors hard to replace? My Onan 4000 generator is doing the same thing. I have the K model. Would you please let me know if that resolves the problem for you? I am beginning to think that this is a heat related problem.

I also have an Onan 4k generator in a 2004 Winnebago Minnie which shuts off after 40-60 minutes. Fuel tank is full. When I took off the generator cover there was some foam insulation pieces in front of the fan. After looking at some Youtube videos, I think this was a solid piece between the compartment wall and the fan with about 3-6 inches of air space in between - maybe for sound reduction. I wonder if some pieces may have broken up and were sucked in by the cooling fan which has reduced the air flow and is causing it to overheat and shut off. So, my questions: Has anyone else had this overheating problem caused by blocked air flow? If so, were you able to clear the air passages and how did you do it? I'm guessing you have to remove the generator to do it. Thanks for any help..

Photos of new location of my fuel filter and pump in order to alleviate possible issues with vapor lock.

Attachments

• IMG_20170910_155937534_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20170910_155937534_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 36
I can tell you that when I had a similar problem it was the fuel pump.  Fuel pump would stop working above a certain temp.

Check YouTube.....one guy had the exact same problem.  Sucked out one pint of oil, problem solved. 

I have done what the gentleman said about taken out a pint of oil on my 5BGMFA261050 Oran 5500 watt year 1994. After replacing two starters and fuel pump, line and inline shut off. It works perfectly. The temperature today was 90 degree on the road from Durango CO with the rooftop AC running going up and down the hills and the change in altitude and run three hours non stop. It reads on the dipstick at the low end not the full line were I had it. 

cgmartin said:
Photos of new location of my fuel filter and pump in order to alleviate possible issues with vapor lock.
A year or so ago I had a similar issue with my spec "P" 4000 onan. Vapor-Lock. I added a second fuel pump and filter similar to what cgmartin did (but without the fancy box). I put it as far back as I could and still maintain reasonable access, just a couple ft in front of the rear axle on the inboard side of the frame. Solved the problem.

The shut down after 30 minutes uses may be when the a/c cycles off. The generator then speeds up the frequency goes too high and the monitoring cct shuts the generator down. In the manual is a procedure  to adjust the frequency.  You will need a meter to measure frequency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom