OLD TT. propane hook up question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

73Camper

I have a 1973 TT that has a very old type propane connection. Question is do they make some kind of retro fit adapter or something to get the propane hooked up? Thanks Chris

73Camper said:
I have a 1973 TT that has a very old type propane connection. Question is do they make some kind of retro fit adapter or something to get the propane hooked up? Thanks Chris

Do you have real old portable tanks? If you do, they will probably need to be certified. It may be cheaper to just replace them. Is this what you were asking about as far as a adapter?

https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/Camco/CAM59053.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyf_YoJKW1QIVDlgNCh3MmQJIEAQYAyABEgL4JvD_BwE

I should have been more clear. I have the new style tank but the TT has a weird male connector

73Camper said:
I should have been more clear. I have the new style tank but the TT has a weird male connector

Look inside the valve body of the tank valve. You'll probably going to see some female threads. Will your male fitting screw into that? If my memory serves me correct, they'll be left hand threads I think.

The old POL-type screw-in gas fitting were the standard for 50+ years, so almost surely what you have. Trailer (male) side looks like this:
http://controlscentral.com/eCatalog/tabid/63/ProductID/517412/p/ME318/Default.aspx

New tanks with the Acme thread fitting most always are dual-purpose and also have internal threads that will accept the old POL male as well.  Since the new standard tank valve accpets the older style, there is no need for an adapter.

You can also change the old POL fitting to the new Acme-thread type. It's just basic plumbing and any hardware store will have the replacement part.

My tank does have internal threads but they are not the right size for the TT. I think i will his Lowes and see what i can find.

73Camper said:

73Campe
Can you post a picture of that  "weird male connector"?.. (it might not be "weird" at all).

mel s said:
73Campe
Can you post a picture of that  "weird male connector"?.. (it might not be "weird" at all).

Ill try ant get a picture. May be a few days. Thanks for the help! LOL picture what type of tank connection they would have in 1973/43 years ago.

DOT-spec LP bottles were the same in the 70's as they were back in the 50's and stayed that way thru the late 90's.  The standard LP bottle valve used a POL fitting that screwed into internal threads in the tank valve. That didn't change until 1998 when the NFPA 58 gas code changed to require Overfill Protection Device in portable LP bottles. The revised NFPA 58 went into full effect on 4/1/2002.

If yours doesn't fit that, you have either an oddball tank or an oddball fitting on the RV. Need photo or measurements.

Your LP system also requires a pressure regulator, and the connection to the regulator is typically a 3/8" flared brass fitting. Maybe what you are looking at is a flare fitting and you need a regulator in between the gas tube/pipe and the tank. Here are some photos of a basic single stage LP regulator:

https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/Camco/CAM59013.html

Back
Top Bottom