1996 Tiago Montara over cab repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmatth7807

I bought a 1996 Tioga Montara The person I bought it off of had taken the front window out  . And supposedly had a contractor help him fix the water leak on the inside. Sure wouldn't want this guy building me a house . Oh well less move on. He has also taken the filon off and put it back on and there is no luan behind it the best I can tell by pushing on it. I have not taken the filon off myself yet trying to find out how this cab is suppose to be put together. I talk to Lou and he said there should be luan behind the hole where the window came out of. Should there be luan over the hole front of the cab? And is the filon all one piece from up top where the clearance lights are down and around the radius? Thanks Dale 

Attachments

• IMG_0998_opt.jpg
    IMG_0998_opt.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 21
You can glue anything to anything if you have the right adhesive and procedure. With filon-to-filon, I suspect any contact adhesive would work, and probably an epoxy resin as well, but I haven't any experience with filon bonds.

Filon has no structural strength to speak of, but I've seen filon layed over spaced studs without any backing board.  Usually on curved surfaces, where curving the backer would make installation more difficult (read: expensive).  It's probably ok as long as it is never subject to much pressure in any one place, e.g. someone or something leaning against one spot. Uniform pressure like wind is probably not a problem.  In my opinion that is cheap & shoddy construction, but cheap and shoddy are not unusual in budget-priced RVs.

RV sidewalls are normally a vacuum-bonded sandwich of filon over luan layed over wood or metal studs for rigidity.

Back
Top Bottom