Towing with a 6 cyl 4WD auto Nissan Frontier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lakama

What do you think of towing a TT with a GVWR rating of 3675# with a 2015 Nissan Frontier 6 cylinder king cab 4 WD auto with a tow rating of 6300# and a maximum frontal area of 30 sq ft? What would I need to do to make it the safest and most efficient experience? Thanks.

First, welcome to the Forum.  Sorry for the delay responding.

As long as your other cargo in the truck is fairly light (less than 1,000#) including passengers, you should be okay, but keep it slow!  The trailer tires will be MUCH happier at 55 mph than at 65 mph - their max speed.

Check your tires.  Max Load on the truck tires  MUST exceed the max axle ratings shown on the tire placard on the driver door.  Remember, two tires per axle!  Make sure they are inflated to this pressure.  Check the DATE CODE on the TT tires.  Anything over 5 years becomes suspect.  These tires "age out" before they wear out.

I assume the TT has brakes.  You will need a Trailer Brake Controller (TBC) to make them work.  THIS IS REQUIRED!

I had a much older King Cab 4 cyl that I pulled a 2200# pop up with.  It did okay, but was clearly a bit underpowered.

Good Luck!

I pulled a similar trailer with a 2010 Frontier V6, Crew Cab and auto trans. Pulling and braking with brake controller for the trailer brakes was all good. Never felt underpowered or in need of more brakes.

The only issues I had was I regularly exceeded the Frontier's GVWR by 100 to 200 lbs and exceeded the rear axle weight rating, RAWR by similar amounts. Used "closed" weigh stations in WA & OR to check my weights.

I ended up trading the 2010 Frontier in on a 2013 Titan. No issues now. Gave up 3 MPG from the Frontier to the Titan.

Is the GVWR higher on a King Cab than a Crew Cab. GVWR on CC was 5,815, RAWR was 3,336.

Back
Top Bottom