Arizona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grey Ghost

8) Anyone on here from Arizona? We pull a 5th wheel, Heartland Greystone. Recently retired and looking for people from Arizona that love to travel and see new and different places. Love to pull with friends, but our most recent friends just left us for a better place, upstairs we all hope. His wife sold the 5ver so we are looking for others to travel around with. If interested, give us a shout back.

We are not from AZ, but we will be wintering in Apache Junction and are always interested in making new friends.  Our travels this fall include leaving MI in late August and taking 3 months to arrive in AZ via Montana, Idaho and Utah.  We recently retired and are now full timing in our Class A.

Larry - where in AZ are you located? We are moving to Fort Mohave in one to two years.

Jomo - we visited Apache Junction and Gold Canyon last year and liked the area a lot. There is an excellent RV mechanic in AJ that charges very good rates and does outstanding work. If you're interested, I'll look up his name.

Jomo said:
We are not from AZ, but we will be wintering in Apache Junction and are always interested in making new friends.  Our travels this fall include leaving MI in late August and taking 3 months to arrive in AZ via Montana, Idaho and Utah.  We recently retired and are now full timing in our Class A.
We live up North in the Glendale/Peoria area right of HWY 101 at 67th ave.

We're planning on moving to the desert to get rid of as many allergies as we can. I understand the populated areas, like Tucson and the Phoenix metro area, have allergies just as bad as we have them here in Florida. Fort Mohave has a new RV home community going up that we like. We checked one out in Gold Canyon last year and liked the area but didn't want to pay lot rent for the rest of our lives.

We're just south of you Grey Ghost..... 67th and Cactus. Most people don't realize Arizona is more than desert. A quick trip to the Mogollon Rim this time of year is especially a treat!

There are plenty of allergens in the desert.  We live in Safford, AZ, and my wife, Linda, is allergic to every plant that blooms here.  She breathes better when we go above about 7,000 ft. elevation.  Our son also has some allergies, and he found he could breathe better when he moved to Phoenix, because there is more concrete and less vegetation.  Now, he lives in Los Angeles and has almost no problem with allergies.  Your allergies might not bother you in Phoenix, simply because there are different allergens than the ones that are bothering you in Florida.  I think you pretty much have to see for yourself how a place works on your allergies.

Richard - thanks, that's good information. I moved from SW Florida to Las Vegas in 1992 for 13 years and found little difference in my allergies, simply because the population brought all their non-desert plants with them. I was hoping that if I moved to the desert, there would be fewer plants. Down here, there is something in bloom year round, so anyone suffering from allergies usually has them all year.

Jomo said:
John, always interested in a good mechanic.  Would appreciate the info.

Ditto. AJ is about 45 min from us, close enough.

Jo and Scott - The RV mechanic I mentioned was Apache Junction RV Services and Supplies. I have to tell you the story of how I tripped across this place.

Last year, we drove from SW Florida to Gold Junction to look at RV homes. In the western part of Texas just east of El Paso, we ran across a group of three feral pigs crossing the road right in front of us. Just as I mentioned to my wife how lucky the timing of their crossing was - right in front of us - a fourth came running, following his brothers. He didn't make it, catching the left rear tire of the coach.

On our next stop, I checked the rig for damage. The coach was in good shape with a little blood behind the tires but the tow dolly and my car were covered in blood, guts and bristles. I went online and checked to see where the nearest truck wash was located because I feared what was covering the left side of my car could ruin the paint. I found a truck wash in Arizona and stopped to inquire about the cost. The guy told me he would do the dolly and car for $10 and the coach for a dollar a foot. Hmm. $48 for washing the entire rig sounded like an awfully good deal.

They did a good job of cleaning the rig, getting the car and tow dolly spotless, but I forgot to warn them of one thing, only remembering when I saw one of the guys in my rear view mirror spraying his power washer straight up the vents for my refrigerator. Naturally, it shut the fridge down on the spot. I didn't realize it until we stopped for lunch in Tucson. I called my mechanic back in Florida but he told me I would need a very powerful magnet to reset the fridge and strongly suggested that I not do it myself. So when we got to Gold Canyon, which was our first true destination since leaving Florida, I began looking up RV mechanics. The first one on the list was the guy we went to and found out that we had tripped across (according to him) the largest Norcold distributor and repair center in the country.

All I wanted this guy to do was reset the fridge so it would work. He took one look at it and told me I needed a recall installation from about six years ago. Only a Norcold distributor would have seen this and known what was needed. So to make this long story as short as possible, he worked 2-? hours on my rig, resetting the fridge, installing the recall parts, finding out the exhaust fan had been wired backwards at the factory and that was one reason why the fridge wasn't cooling as much as it should, discovered a water leak near the pump and repaired it with new hosing, and helped me rehang my entrance door which no longer wanted to lock or latch because of the terribly poor road through Louisiana, providing me with lock washers for the hinge screws, all for $124.00 with an hourly labor rate of $104.00. My mechanic in Florida charges $140/hour.

I'm not sure if this guy does chassis work, but anything concerning the coach part of the rig is something he can fix. This is a family operation. One of the sons is who worked on my coach. I can't remember his name specifically, but the facility is located at 1880 Apache Trail on the corner of N. Palo Verde Dr. with Apache Trail being the main drag through town.

I can only say that if I lived in that town, this would be my mechanic. For the work he did for me, the guy I have in Florida would have charged over $300.00 and would have wanted to keep the coach for at least three days. I am giving serious thought that if I can't find anyone reputable in Fort Mohave when we move there, I'll drive all the way to Apache Junction to let this guy work on my coach.

Completely off the subject, I'll make another recommendation for you if you're new to the town. Two blocks west of the RV service center is what is probably the best pizza in town, or at least it has been voted the best for something like eight years in a row, called Fatman's Pizza and BBQ. It's Chicago style pizza but you can get it with thin crust or deep dish. We will definitely return whenever we are passing through town.

RedT said:
We're just south of you Grey Ghost..... 67th and Cactus. Most people don't realize Arizona is more than desert. A quick trip to the Mogollon Rim this time of year is especially a treat!

Red - My wife lived in Payson for many years and we traveled that area last year while we were out there. Quite beautiful. I don't particularly care to move to the middle of the desert as we are planning, but I don't like the cold weather that Payson affords in the winter - been in SW Florida for much too long for that.

John Stephens said:
Jo and Scott - The RV mechanic I mentioned was Apache Junction RV Services and Supplies. I have to tell you the story of how I tripped across this place.

Last year, we drove from SW Florida to Gold Junction to look at RV homes. In the western part of Texas just east of El Paso, we ran across a group of three feral pigs crossing the road right in front of us. Just as I mentioned to my wife how lucky the timing of their crossing was - right in front of us - a fourth came running, following his brothers. He didn't make it, catching the left rear tire of the coach.

On our next stop, I checked the rig for damage. The coach was in good shape with a little blood behind the tires but the tow dolly and my car were covered in blood, guts and bristles. I went online and checked to see where the nearest truck wash was located because I feared what was covering the left side of my car could ruin the paint. I found a truck wash in Arizona and stopped to inquire about the cost. The guy told me he would do the dolly and car for $10 and the coach for a dollar a foot. Hmm. $48 for washing the entire rig sounded like an awfully good deal.

They did a good job of cleaning the rig, getting the car and tow dolly spotless, but I forgot to warn them of one thing, only remembering when I saw one of the guys in my rear view mirror spraying his power washer straight up the vents for my refrigerator. Naturally, it shut the fridge down on the spot. I didn't realize it until we stopped for lunch in Tucson. I called my mechanic back in Florida but he told me I would need a very powerful magnet to reset the fridge and strongly suggested that I not do it myself. So when we got to Gold Canyon, which was our first true destination since leaving Florida, I began looking up RV mechanics. The first one on the list was the guy we went to and found out that we had tripped across (according to him) the largest Norcold distributor and repair center in the country.

All I wanted this guy to do was reset the fridge so it would work. He took one look at it and told me I needed a recall installation from about six years ago. Only a Norcold distributor would have seen this and known what was needed. So to make this long story as short as possible, he worked 2-? hours on my rig, resetting the fridge, installing the recall parts, finding out the exhaust fan had been wired backwards at the factory and that was one reason why the fridge wasn't cooling as much as it should, discovered a water leak near the pump and repaired it with new hosing, and helped me rehang my entrance door which no longer wanted to lock or latch because of the terribly poor road through Louisiana, providing me with lock washers for the hinge screws, all for $124.00 with an hourly labor rate of $104.00. My mechanic in Florida charges $140/hour.

I'm not sure if this guy does chassis work, but anything concerning the coach part of the rig is something he can fix. This is a family operation. One of the sons is who worked on my coach. I can't remember his name specifically, but the facility is located at 1880 Apache Trail on the corner of N. Palo Verde Dr. with Apache Trail being the main drag through town.

I can only say that if I lived in that town, this would be my mechanic. For the work he did for me, the guy I have in Florida would have charged over $300.00 and would have wanted to keep the coach for at least three days. I am giving serious thought that if I can't find anyone reputable in Fort Mohave when we move there, I'll drive all the way to Apache Junction to let this guy work on my coach.

Completely off the subject, I'll make another recommendation for you if you're new to the town. Two blocks west of the RV service center is what is probably the best pizza in town, or at least it has been voted the best for something like eight years in a row, called Fatman's Pizza and BBQ. It's Chicago style pizza but you can get it with thin crust or deep dish. We will definitely return whenever we are passing through town.

I want to also offer my endorsement to this same business.

Several years ago when I stayed at Gold Canyon they did several projects for me including adding the second roof A/C.

They did great work and were always helpful to me.

Back
Top Bottom