Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Refrigerator not working on AC  (Read 243 times)

IslandGuy

• ---
Refrigerator not working on AC
« on: July 20, 2017, 11:22:42 AM »
Noticed the milk was warm when I took it out of the refrigerator...hmmmm....Freezer is nice and cold...I switched it over to propane and after several hours the refrigerator section was nice and cold...38 degrees...I took a look at the back of the unit and saw some water sitting on the power/module...the defrost drain line sprung a leak and looks like it was dumping water right on the module...so hoping it is just a fuse but I do have a spare module. Hoping it is something simple but with these rigs it usually never is!! I'll take a look at it next week as we should be back home by Sunday/Monday...
Will let you know what I find!

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 07:38:45 AM by John Canfield »
Jim

2009 WGO Tour 40TD
2012 Honda Fit Sport 5 sp, SMI Stay-In-Play
Saddlebrooke, AZ

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

IslandGuy

• ---
Re: Refrigerator not working on AC
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 06:23:37 PM »
Have been doing a lot of testing on the fridge since we returned this week...I checked the AC heating elements and they were good. Tested the thermistor and it was OK. I had a spare ckt board and installed it and no change....even on propane the fridge was still not cooling...was about 52 degrees. I spoke to Rick the owner of trailerrefrigeration.com here in Tucson and he suggested just turning it off for a few days and fire it back up. So I did that and low and behold this AM the refrigerator was at 37 degrees!!
More than likely the defroster in the freezer is getting a bit weak and not defrosting enough which blocked the airflow onto the refrigerator fins.
Glad that I do not have to go out and get a new refrigerator!!
Jim

2009 WGO Tour 40TD
Saddlebrooke, AZ

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 07:37:48 AM »
...Glad that I do not have to go out and get a new refrigerator!!
I highly recommend you plan on replacing the gas fridge (while it's not a crisis) with a residential model. It makes little sense spending $1k to replace/repair a gas fridge when you can buy a good residential model in the $700-800 range.

Glad you dodged the bullet and thanks for checking in.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

IslandGuy

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 02:32:43 PM »
I highly recommend you plan on replacing the gas fridge (while it's not a crisis) with a residential model. It makes little sense spending $1k to replace/repair a gas fridge when you can buy a good residential model in the $700-800 range.

Glad you dodged the bullet and thanks for checking in.

For sure...once/if the fridge goes out a residential will go back in its place :)
Jim

2009 WGO Tour 40TD
Saddlebrooke, AZ

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 06:43:47 PM »
For sure...once/if the fridge goes out a residential will go back in its place :)

I replaced mine last year even with my absorption fridge was working good. I ended up by selling it for $500.00 and the new fridge was $600.00.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Hosted by Over The Network