Dometic ductless A/C - scratch and dent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvannie23

I've concluded I would like a second A/C in my bedroom. My camper is already prewired for one, and it would be the ductless kind. My local RV dealer quoted me $860 for the unit plus $160 for the knobs and such. $200 to come out and install. I found the same dometic 13500btu ductless a/c online for $419. It also has a heat strip addition for $52 which I think would be really great in the winter. Only issue is its "scratch and dent" meaning it has cosmetic damage. Considering it's on the roof idk how big of a deal that is. Has anyone purchased something like this before? How difficult is this to install by myself? Electrical skill is low to moderate  over here.

I installed one 3 years ago. Real easy. Did you see pictures of the damage" The outer cover is a form of plastic or fiberglass and that typically won't dent. It may have a hole in it though which can be patched using fiberglass. Then just repaint.

Rene T said:
I installed one 3 years ago. Real easy. Did you see pictures of the damage" The outer cover is a form of plastic or fiberglass and that typically won't dent. It may have a hole in it though which can be patched using fiberglass. Then just repaint.

No pictures of the damage, they just have a generic photo of the unit. I may call customer service and see if they will send one. Seems like it shouldn't be a big deal. Glad to know it was pretty easy.

I'd be concerned if the unit was dropped while in transit, this would show up in damage like a squashed corner or edge instead of just a fiberglass puncture.

If it was dropped, there's too much of a chance that the parts and their plumbing connections were stressed, which could lead to freon leaks and failure further down the line.

Ask for a photo of the "Scratch and/or dent" some are not worth the time to fix (That is all it needs is painting to match your RV) some are not worth the time to fix (meaning it's a major scratch or dent and there is serious internal damage).  Some are easily fixable

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Scratch-and-Dent-Dometic-13500-BTU-Duo-Therm-Brisk-2-RV-Air-Conditioner-Complete-Black.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-K6Iq5yZ1QIVzEwNCh0Z4we2EAYYASABEgIrVvD_BwE

Are you aware that a ductless a/c comes in two parts, i.e. the unit on the roof and the ceiling unit (interior air distribution  & controls)?  I'm guessing that the "knobs" the dealer wanted the extra $160 for.  Chances are the unit you are looking at is the rooftop part only.

Dometic calls the interior component an "ADB", though I'm not sure what the acronym means. Air Distribution Box, maybe? Note in this ad: ADB Required for ductless application

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/climate/air-conditioners/air-conditioners-for-rvs/dometic-penguin-ii-_-20667

SkateBoard said:
http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Scratch-and-Dent-Dometic-13500-BTU-Duo-Therm-Brisk-2-RV-Air-Conditioner-Complete-Black.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-K6Iq5yZ1QIVzEwNCh0Z4we2EAYYASABEgIrVvD_BwE

This is the exact one I found. It does say the ceiling unit is included, which I took to mean the interior controls part. I will ask customer service when I call this morning.

Gary, the penguin one is a little bit of a nicer unit, and I think because it's low profile and supposed to be quiet and such that's where the ADB comes from. From the pictures I saw, my not-as-nice dometic ducted AC has a distribution box as well; it's just opening and closing the "distribution" vents changes the intensity with which it goes to the ducts. I'll have to confirm with customer service.

John, I agree if it was dropped that's an issue. There is a disclaimer that it comes with the standard warranty and that all the internals are working. The cosmetics are not a HUGE deal to me because 1. It's black already which matches my first AC and 2. It goes on the roof. So even a patch job with a poor aesthetic would probably be okay.

I just feel like the whole thing could be done for about $500 when the dealer wants to charge me 1200+. But I'm still a bit wary if that's a get what you pay for kind of deal. I like that the one I found online is a "duo therm" with the heat option. Seems like it would be nice in the winter. Anyone have experience with one? Do they work?

I just asked them on chat. They are all out of those units. Only new ones available.

SkateBoard said:
I just asked them on chat. They are all out of those units. Only new ones available.

uuuuuuugghhhhh of course  :)( :)( :(

thanks for that i appreciate it.

the search continues then. the price they have listed for new is $751, plus the $52 for the heat strip puts me at $800. I may call the dealer back and see if he can get me a duotherm one. If i'm going to pay an arm and a leg for it may as well get what I want.

Something like that I would get local. Getting a damaged or not working unit is a pain to ship back and the wait time. I just spent the extra $80 for my gas stove and bought it local.

Thats my only issue, anything I order online has to be 610% worth it; I live in the middle of the woods and my address is...complicated. Its a pain to get things in/out. For just over $400 that would be great, but if its going to be about the same price as the dealer probably not worth it.  There is a camping world about 90 miles from me, I may take a trip. I would still save a little on the installation. Or I may just say f-it and pay the $1200 and move on with my life. I feel like a nice, evenly cooled camper & ditching my bedroom fan may all be worth it  8)

I think you'll be glad you did it and got it over with. The last big ticket item I got from Amazon was damaged. They gave me a return shipping label right away but it took over a month to get my money back and that included having to file this claim and that claim. Never again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom