EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: A Friend overweight on rear axle of class C  (Read 924 times)

TonyDtorch

• ---
Re: A Friend overweight on rear axle of class C
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »
Same reason you can order your semi-tractor with any number of axle capacities. Just because it's rated at that doesn't mean you can, wherever you feel like.

Aw...but you can in a motorhome.  I have a friend with a Newell that's been driving it all across America for the last 5 years.

if it is illegal,  then every Prevost and Newell on the road is a giant rolling lawsuit..

Those engineers at the Newell factory must be total idiots.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:16:04 PM by TonyDtorch »

KandT

• ---
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2017, 03:16:13 PM »
Thank you for all the replies.  Surprisingly,  ;) we have strayed from the topic at hand and that is how to get the rear axle weight down 1000 pounds or is that not really all that over loaded?  The front axle does have about 700 pounds of unused potential.

I guess my point is if he moves 1 pound from way behind the rear axle to above the cab (class C) he will really make at least a 2 pound difference - right?  Not that he wants to store 500 pounds above his head - but that is the concept???
2005 Winnebago Vectra
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2017, 04:27:17 PM »
if he is over the tire weight rating it really is a safety issue. (especially if you think you have to drive 70 mph on the highway )

He could replace the wheels and tires with a larger set and add some overload springs. But like Gary said almost every other RV on the road is overweight on an axle or 2,  and very likely none of those RVers ever even knew it. ( ignorance is bliss ) 

He just needs to keep in mind he is driving a large vehicle that is maxed out.  So get new tires with a TPMS system, slow down, and enjoy it.   Just like all the other overloaded Class C's and other motorhomes on the road.
 ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:38:01 PM by TonyDtorch »

ducnut

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2017, 06:18:06 PM »
Aw...but you can in a motorhome.  I have a friend with a Newell that's been driving it all across America for the last 5 years.

if it is illegal,  then every Prevost and Newell on the road is a giant rolling lawsuit..

Those engineers at the Newell factory must be total idiots.

^^^ Your statements; not mine.  :-\

I had a Super C owner tell me every aspect of his coach is legally overweight, by DOT standards, even empty. Smartly, he upgraded his tires to a much higher load-rated tire. But, neither of us could understand why a coach manufacturer would ever do that.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2017, 12:34:41 PM »
then could someone explain why they build the Newell motorhome right here in the U.S. with the drive axle that is rated at a 28k lb. GAW ?

There are also vehicles that are rated to go 100+ mph and you can't legally do that either.  ;D
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »
Not to nit pick, but it's 24k and interstate only with access to food, lodging, and repairs.

I stand corrected - it is indeed 24k.   :-[
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2017, 02:06:01 PM »

I had a Super C owner tell me every aspect of his coach is legally overweight, by DOT standards, even empty.    Smartly, he upgraded his tires to a much higher load-rated tire.   But, neither of us could understand why a coach manufacturer would ever do that.

like I said...it only matters in the commercial trucking world.  GVW limits are mostly about road tax.

Coach makers do that because not that many Class C's or Newells ever crash, explode and kill people from being over the GVW.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:18:10 PM by TonyDtorch »

Hosted by Over The Network