I know its not the season but how do your winterize a tt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

73Camper

On my Outback i had drain valves and i would disconnect the in side of the pump and push antifreeze through the system. I also made a fitting to push compressed air through the out side line. My 73 has neither of these things.  Whats the best way to winterize on the older trailers?

What I use to do the last time we camped before driving home is open all the faucets and the low point drains and open the drain plug for the water heater. The thought was that water sloshing around in the pipes would eventually reach the low point drains. Once home, I'd shut all the faucets and position the water heater bypass valves. Then using compresses air set at about 50 PSI, I would pressurize the entire system. Then I'd go around opening all the faucets one at a time and let the water flow until there was no more water then let the air pressure to build up again. Do this with all of them. Then I'd go around one more time using the same procedure. Also I'd run the water pump for 15 seconds or so to make sure it was dry. No pink stuff except in the traps.

73Camper said:
i do not have any low valves on the bottom of tt

You might not see any valves. You may just see 2 small open ended pipes. The valves may be inside above those pipes.

How to winterize. 3 mentods (NOTE: Does not matter if Motor home or Trailer)

Wet metod:
Open all valves, INClUDING LOW POINT, drain systgem, Bypass water heater and drain it.  Close all valves and pump RV Antifreeze into all lines.... Downside,, Getting that pink crap out come spring

Dry Method: Again bypass and drain water heater (Oh, note, on Atwood disconnect red wire from ECO)  Open all valves and drain lines. Screw a BLOW OUT PLUG into the city inlet and blow 50 PSI, till no more water comes out.. Wait a few minutes, blow again, Do this like 5-10 times.  Close all but low point valves

NOTES: after the FIRST blow run the on-board pump (Tank empty) for a minute to blow it out, also drain the inlet strainer on the pump. You need do this only after the first blow.

DO NOT forget to drain the main supply tank first.

Both methods.. Dump holding tanks, and then add RV antifreeze to toilets and drains,, enough that at least a pint goes into the tanks.

Best way to winterize:
Strap a snow blower to the front of your vehicle (Motor home or tow vehicle) Hook up and drive SOUTH.. When you stop for fuel and someone pushes their had back, looks strangly at the snow blower and asks "What the )(@#$ER is that thing?" you are winterized.  (note this is a bit of a joke I'v seen freezing tremps that far south).

I would add a Tee just after the pump and add port for using air pressure to blow out the lines. The alternative is to pour RV (potable water) antifreeze into the tank and pump it through the system. Including the water heater if it has no bypass valves installed.

Back
Top Bottom