Help! Electrical question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna J

We just got a 2000 Rexhall class A. None of the amenities that plug in (a/c, fridge, microwave, tv, etc) will come on. I read thru the manual we were given and can't find a master switch or clue to what may be turned off. Anyone have a suggestion?

Assuming your plugged into shore power, the first thing to check is the main breaker on the power distribution panel. If your coach is a 30 amp model, make sure you don't plug into 30 amp, 240 volt receptacles. It should be fed 30, amp 120 volts.

RV's come in three configurations depending on the model. NOTE this applies to Motor Homes, all classes, as well as all types of trailers as well

Basic:

Shore cord--(Option)---Main breaker box.. Branch breakers to everything
The (Option) is a detachable cord and inlet,,, Most 50 amp RV's have detachable cords, 30's often do not.
NOTE: This option applies to all types of RV's.

Poor Man's Trnasfer Switch  (This is for an RV with an on board generator)

Shore cord to everything,, Same as above]
Generator to an outlet.. To use Generator you plug shore cord into outlet.

Most modern RV's with Generator

Shore cord -- (Option)-- Auto transfer switch---Main breaker box and so on
Generator---------------- Auto transfer switch

Your suspect list
Shore power: Are you plugged into a LIVE outlet (Test it)
Shore cord outlet (Screws loose inside. I've seen it and I'm not an RV service techinician) (This is the option)
Shore cord INLET. Same as outlet (This is the part mounted on the RV
Auto Transfer switch.. Loose connections (have yet to see that but have read about it) Bad ATS (have seen
Breaker box  Loose screws (have seen) Bad breakers (Have seen) Other problem (Have seen) Inclucluding a breaker (main in this case) not fully seated.

Broken wire. (Anywhere between plug and breaker box. and yes, I just replaced a plug 3 weeks ago.

Shore cord (Option)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom