Technical Service Bulletin Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvannie23

This is a truck question.
I have the below issue with my truck, except no visible water damage on the inside. My XM was fine until about three weeks ago and now it no longer works. The navigation was an issue right after I bought it, but it wasnt a big deal to me because I dont use it. Not so with the XM. Anyway, I made an appointment with the dealership and they couldnt tell me straight out if it was something that would be covered or not. My truck is out of warranty but, the issue is a defect from the factory. Tried googling the price of it and cant find anything on any other forums.

Does anyone have experience with something like this, or with this specific issue? Other GM models were affected as well.

https://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=190431

With that issue no, With TSB's yes.. TSB lists specific error codes and specific vin digits

Compare your VIN to the list of affected vehicles,, And what, if any, error codes do you see on the display (NOTE that error codes may not be displayed without a service tool)

From that you can get an idea if it will be coverd..  The Dealer can, for a minimum fee if not covered, check the error codes. If they are not displayed.

A TSB typically does not extend the warranty coverage for the item.  Unlike with NHTSA recalls, GM is under no obligation to provide TSB fixes outside the warranty period unless they volunteer to do so.  In other words, you are out of luck once your warranty has expired.  Especially since you knew of the problem during warranty period but did nothing to get it repaired. 

You can inquire if there is a "service campaign" associated with this TSB, but it probably would have been mentioned if there was one. [A "service campaign" is auto-industry speak for a promise to make a repair or adjustment in all the affected vehicles, whether under warranty or not.]

You may be able to whine & cry enough to get GM to grant an exception and pay some or all of your repair costs as a "customer satisfaction" measure, so it's worth a try. The dealer can ask in your behalf but expect to be turned down. You can escalate the request to the GM District Service Rep and explain why you think GM owes you some extra consideration on this. They usually have the authority to take action like that. Good luck.

I bought the truck used, and the warranty was expired. So it was the previous owner who did nothing during the warranty period. I'm not much for whining or crying...I will state my case and see what happens. I did contact a Chevrolet service rep and documented the issue. The woman I spoke to was very nice and basically said it will be up to the dealer at that point, but if they refused, to call back. I would assume they may get involved at a higher level. Who knows.

I did find something on another forum from 2015 that said GM would replace the antenna until August 31st 2017 on affected models regardless of age, mileage, or warranty. Hoping that's the case when I take it in next week.

I did find something on another forum from 2015 that said GM would replace the antenna until August 31st 2017 on affected models regardless of age, mileage, or warranty.

That would be typical if they did a "service campaign" on this problem. Hope its true!

Back
Top Bottom