DIY led ceiling light replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Almightycrash

After spending way too much on fluorescent tube LED replacements that ended up being for 110v only, I decided to get creative.
I bought a spool of 6000k daylight spectrum led strips.

First, I gutted the housings, removing transformers, wires, and fluorescent connections.
I installed angle molding on the outer edges to allow the lights to have a wider spread when flush mounted. 

Attachments

• IMG_4629.JPG
    IMG_4629.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 53
Then I measured and cut strip sections, soldering jumper wires between them...
Then mounted them inside. 

Attachments

• IMG_4630.JPG
    IMG_4630.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 39
Here is before and after.
The difference in real life is phenomenal.

Attachments

• IMG_4631.JPG
    IMG_4631.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4632.JPG
    IMG_4632.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 51
So, you've got bare wires exposed all the time until you put on the plastic lenses or did you protect them somehow. Is that right? I'd be leery of that but that's me.

Mr Rainy,

The ends of the 12 volt wires can be soldered or put together with crimp on connectors.

Several of us did this kind of project at Quartzsite a few years ago.

We set up some tables under an awning and converted the lights to LEDs.

I still have several rolls of LEDs, switches, double sided tape, and connectors.  I converted all 13 of my lights in the coach and a few in the Stacker.

Edit:  It was 2015 that we did it and here is the link.  Not trying to hijack the thread but if anyone wants to do this next winter they can have the supplies to do a workshop at Q.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,77992.msg731602.html#msg731602

I did one of my fluorescent lights as you did. The only thing that bothered me was, the lights are rated at 12 Volt and when the converter is working the voltage goes to 14 Volts. I am not sure how this affects the life. I installed regulators that kinda worked, but were a little iffy.

For the latest two lights I found 1/2 meter lights on eBay for $2 each, post paid from China . I ordered 10 and installed them in my other ceiling lights. These are cheaper and really look nice. The same 12 V vs 14 V applies , I just wired these with no regulators. Will see how these work out.

yolo said:
Where do you see bare wires Rene.  Looks like insulated wire going into the strips to me.

In picture #2, it looked like there were bare wires where they were made up to the strips. I was wrong I guess. It also looked liked the soldered wires were close to the metal housing.

I did something similar to replace a ceiling fan that we never used - the light change is amazing - now feels like daylight even though it only consumes 23 watts and is rated 3000K.  It is even dim-able, and has changed our dead-weight fan into a valuable light source.

Attachments

• led_ceiling_light.jpg
    led_ceiling_light.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 14
There are no bare wires, and the soldered ends are insulated with hot glue to keep them from touching the housing. 
I got a 5m spool for around $6 with free overnight shipping through Amazon.
12v lights can handle the 14v fluctuations, as these lights are usually used in cars which run 14.4v when running. 
I went with 6000k because I prefer white daylight over the warm yellowish white of lower spectrums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom