Battery Type - Brand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For Wheelin

Is anyone using Optima deep cycle RV batteries, and further, maintained by Solar?

I'm about to select a 150 watt solar panel kit and two new deep cycle batteries.  I was going to go with 6 volt batteries but I don't see a 6 volt option from Optima however.

Thanks,

I have no experience with Optima batteries, but it seems like I've read a lot of negative stuff about using them in RV's. Some of it here on this site if I remember correctly.

Hmm, I wasn't able to find anything.  I know they are great batteries, but haven't read any reviews.

I want to get sealed maintenance free AGM's.  I know Interstate Batteries makes them too. 

I wasn't able to find anything

Click the Search button above and use the search term 'Optima' (without quotes). You'll see a number of prior topics on the subject.

I've got an Optima in the Jeep, and it does a fine job with the Jeep's electrical consumption. IIRC, Optimas don't have a lot of Amp Hour capacity compared to other AGM batteries, and AH capacity is important when boondocking. I think our Optima has a 75 AH capacity.

We've got eight AGM house-batteries in our coach, and they're primarily maintained with solar when we're camping. (With AGM charge-settings) Each battery has a 105 AH capacity, which is significantly more than the Optima.

Kev

Hi For Wheelin,

This lady has been using Optimas for quite a few years: http://rvsueandcrew.net/about-my-solar-set-up/the-batteries/

I used to follow her blog pretty closely until 2-3 years ago and  I don't remember her reporting any troubles, but you might want to check with her directly.

OTOH, please excuse my curiosity, but why not go with the one of widely tried & true options  from Trojan, Lifeline, etc?

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Nothing wrong with Optimas, but nothing especially right about them either. There are plenty of AGM batteries brands available and most all are solid performers. Hardly surprising, since nearly all come from the same 4 major battery manufacturers, regardless of the brand name on the case. Just look for the deep cycle type and the amp-hours & battery case size that fits your needs and shop for a decent price. Optimas seldom come out ahead in any comparison of price vs performance, but as with many highly touted brands, some people swear there is nothing better.

The premier brands of AGM deep cycles are Trojan and Lifeline (aka Concord). Those are the "gold standard" that everybody else compares to. If you want the very best and don't mind paying the premium price, get either of them (in the size and AH capacity suitable for your needs).

thanks all!

VallAndMo, I've actually used two Trojan 6-volt wet batteries for many years, but with this new RV and limited space to place batteries I chose the sealed AGM.  I have ran Optima yellow tops in my jeeps for years and have grown to like them.

So far the dual Optima's are working well and staying charged with a solar panel I mounted on the roof.

For Wheelin said:
Is anyone using Optima deep cycle RV batteries, and further, maintained by Solar?

I'm about to select a 150 watt solar panel kit and two new deep cycle batteries.  I was going to go with 6 volt batteries but I don't see a 6 volt option from Optima however.

Thanks,

I found these the other day doing research. I wish I had seen them B4 buying wet cell... To me they look worth trying. 

The Optima Yellowtop batteries are great, but not a true deep cycle, more of the starter/deep cycle hybrids that are around nowadays.  Manufacturers are calling lots of their starting batteries "deep cycle" even though they're not a TRUE deep cycle...

Anyways, I had 2 Optima Yellowtop batteries in my Nissan Xterra with an isolator for the battery in the rear cargo area.  I ran lights, USB chargers and an inverter off of them with no problems for many years.  If you can find a good deal on them, I would say go for it.  But if you're looking at doing some serious long-term boondocking, then maybe go for some 6v GC2 batteries.  For what it's worth, my group 24 deep cycle (wet lead acid) is one of the hybrids I mentioned, and works just fine for a whole week of light power usage with my 40w solar panel.  We only use lights at night sparingly and use the water pump for washing bodies 2-4 times a day, plus washing dishes.

yes, I have a yellow top in my jeep and it is still going strong for 6 years now, and powering a lot of DC devices.

I did install two group 24 Optima Blue Top AGM's and a 150 watt solar panel. I have only tested it in the driveway, but for days as if we were camping and all is working great.  Heading out in a couple of weeks and will be boondocking.  Feeling pretty good about it.

Back
Top Bottom