Strong chemical smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgtalbot56

I have a strong chemical smell that seems like it is coming from two black boxes located on the frame in the right front beside the engine with one tube going towards the back of the rv and another tube going over the top of engine. I haven't been able the accurately verify where the tubes connect to but wonder f anyone has any clue what it might be. The smell is not gas or oil but strong chemical. I have a 1995 Georgie boy. Thanks

Can you post a photo of what you're talking about?  Is your rig on a Ford or Chevy chassis (which engine do you have)?

Sorry to be so long to get back but I couldn't post the pics. The boxes are connected from one side with tubes from the fuel tank area that go through the two boxes then the tubes connect to the valve cover then goes through some emission electrical valve then the tubes seem to connect to the fuel delivery system. I get some strong chemical (not gas smell) odor from these two black boxes. The two boxes are about 8 inches by 4 inches sitting side by side.thanks from anyone who has any idea what these cannisters are.

Sounds like the Carbon cannisters for the Evaporative Emmissisons control. but  Carbon is odorless and the only other "Smell" in that area is Gasoline.  Or Sulfur if you bought bad gas.(Rotten Egg)

Thanks for your reply. It's not gas smell and it's had this smell for over a year. Do these boxes ever need changing or need cleaning out because several times my engine has suffered a puttering like a fuel filter problem but has only done it twice. Let sit over night and runs fine the next day. I have replaced my fuel filter but has done it again after that.Thanks from Georgia.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom