Dometic frig gas valve hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doogie01

Hello all,
I am new to this forum and want to thank any and all who reply in advance.  I have recently ran across a issue with a Dometic refrigerator in our 5th wheel camper.  Well camping a few weeks ago, I happened to pop the refrigerator cover off the side of the camper to check to make sure everything was working and no visual issues. The refrigerator cools and does not seem to have any issues. We were dry camping so the frig was running off the propane. When I touched the gas valve, it was extremely hot!  it was to the point you would not be able to keep a hand on it.  This concerns me for the obvious reason that the gas line is right there.  Is this common or is there a problem I need to have looked at?  I have had numerous campers prior to this one, but I do not recall ever feeling the gas valve and can not compare it to previous campers. I will attempt to attach a picture as I know the style of refrigerators change.  And what I'm referring to as the gas valve is the full brass piece under the black solenoid.

Attachments

• IMG_20170722_201600resize.jpg
    IMG_20170722_201600resize.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20170722_201600resize.jpg
    IMG_20170722_201600resize.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 29
Looks as if you're right next to the boiler and brass conducts heat very well. I don't think I'd worry too much unless the solenoid is even hotter (the heat source). Wiser folks will undoubtedly be here soon. ;D

Ernie

I've never seen one that close to the flame and boiler, but in that location it's not surprising the valve gets hot. Almost too hot to touch is still well short of dangerously hot, so I guess I wouldn't worry.  Seems like a poor design, though.

The "Danger" I assume you are worried about is that with the valve that hot the gas might ignite before it gets to the place where it is supposed to.. You need not worry about that

To burn requires 3 things.. Gas (Got that) air (No air inside that fitting, just propane) and heat (park or flame) And (I doubt the heat is that high even if the valve is too hot to touch.

But. I do agree with Gary, NEver seen one that close to the burner.

I would check to make sure the chimney and combustion areas are not clogged.  This  could cause heat to not dissipate quickly.

The solenoid coil will be hot too, when it is in operation. I too would check the chimney to be sure the flame from the burner flame is being drawn up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom