2001 Fleetwod tioga Ford chassis all brakes replaced...still locking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurielr

I recently purchased the 2001 tioga 26f.  It only had 28000 miles and I was worried that low mileage might mean issues.  I put about 1000 miles on it without issue.  Flat plains driving.  Part of my sales agreement was the sellers commitment to allowing rental to someone he  already commited too.  It has become a frustrating experience.he is travelling at higher elevations throughout Wyoming amd Montana.  Day 3 he had issues getting beyond 40 mph going uphill through Wyoming..no power to transmission.  Mechanic told him likely all he could expect.  Day 5 burns out front brakes, replaces pads, rotors and calipers.  Day 6 brakes appear to be still keeping power down intermittently from transmission, has brakes flushed and new brake lines installed and is also told back brakes need replacing along with rotors and calipers and this is done.  Believing this will end issues, he has now only driven 30 to 40 minures and says problem not fixed, brakes are heating up and feel like they are still locking up and not allowing him to exceed 40 to 50 mph intermittently.  What is left, i am at a loss, this is my first motorhome  and i am ready to throw in the towel.  Anyone else experienced this or can suggest a resolve, perhaps brakes werent the issue.

I don't know about your model but if it's an air brake system it sounds like your relay valve is shot. That's a common symptom where the brakes are always on and never really release all the way. Also, stepping on the brake usually locks up the wheels easy.

I'm assuming your truck chassis (class C) has a hydraulic brake system. Check the master cylinder. If the proportioning valve is sticking, then brake fluid will not return back to the master cylinder correctly causing pressure to remain in the brake lines. Also, if someone has replaced the master cylinder recently and it is not mounted correctly, the brake pedal to master cylinder rod may not be returning fully causing the same symptom, which gives the symptom of having the brakes partially engaged all the time - overheating brakes due to constant pressure in the hydraulic brake fluid.

This sort of problem is not really related to being a motorhome.  Your Tioga is built on a standard Ford van chassis, either an E350 or E450, so the brake system (both service brake and emergency brake) is a very common one. Seems hard to believe that any competent brake shop or Ford dealer cannot find & fix the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom