Strange No Water Issue In Kitchen??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvannie23

So this morning I am rinsing up some dishes in the sink using both hot and cold water when the sink abruptly shuts off. Confused, I turned both handles back waited a second and then tried to turn the tap on again. Ran for a little while and then off again. Through a series of trial and error the cold side seemed to work just fine on its own. When I mixed in hot they would both shut off.

Things I checked:
Outside water connection - fine, switched to tank fill no issue with the hose or anything
Under the sink to make sure no leaking connections
Kept the taps open even after it turned off, went outside and looked under the camper to make sure no water was pouring out.

The weird thing is that the bathroom shower and sink work just fine with no issue, hot and cold taps. It sounds and feels like there is a valve shutting or something since the water just totally shuts off and there is an audible shake of the faucet. I am totally stumped here. Ideas anyone??

kdbgoat said:
Have you tried taking the aerator off of the faucet?

While a plugged aerator can obstruct flow this is not consistent with one temperature working and the other not.

My guess is that this is a faucet malfunction. Given that it is only happening for hot water it could be that a temperature change is heating something up in the faucet valve that is causing something to swell and suddenly block flow.  If it is possible to easily remove the hot water supply line from the underside of the faucet and turn it on and off from the shutoff valves under the sink you could determine if the problem exists before that faucet.

Joel

Today is my only day off and I have had some more pressing matters to handle before I go out of town (without the camper) this week. I keep messing with the faucet and basically whats happening is it will randomly shut off on either just hot or just cold, but not every time, and it can run for quite a while before shutting off. It will however ALWAYS shut off when hot and cold are mixed. I also swear there was hot water coming out of the cold tap once but I haven't replicated that yet.

I went under the sink and I dont have any shut off valves like in the bathroom, its just the tube with a metal ring running up into the faucet setup. It is definitely some type of valve thats shutting and stopping the flow, i can tell by the noise. I don't think its the water connection itself because hot and cold are coming from different places...and the shower and bathroom sink work. That leaves the faucet as Joel said.

Is it possible for the valve thats operated by the handle to be loose and just close on its own?  I want to take the faucet apart but I'm not sure if thats going to cause me more grief. It's not a huge issue right now and could probably wait until I get back. Thoughts?

Two common "No water in the KITCHEN" issues one applies to other faucets and the other may apply to the shower if hand held.

The aerator on all fauctets as previously covered by others.

ON "pull out" Sink faucet heads, where the faucet is also the sprayer.. And possibly on some hand held showers (but elsewhere)

In the base of the head, where the hose attaches, is a back flow preventer.. IT can "lime up" like the check valves on water heaters and when it does.. NO FLOW

ON showers it is usually at the faucet end of the hose and of a different design that does not stop the flow, but  may shoot water every which way EXCEPT into the shower head.

It's a double handle faucet, the pull out with a sprayer kind.

John, do you think build up like that would cause it to stop so suddenly though? Build up to me would mean a reduced but still constant flow. This is going full force and then shutting off completely. If I turn the taps on and off the water comes back on and then does the same thing. My shower works fine. It's just the sink giving me an issue.

Way back when I did service work I have seen loose faucet washers do the same thing, The screw that hold the washer corrodes and allows the washer to slam against the seat.It only happens on a certain design of two handled faucets.  May not be the problem but by taking apart the faucet would be easy to check.

catblaster said:
Way back when I did service work I have seen loose faucet washers do the same thing, The screw that hold the washer corrodes and allows the washer to slam against the seat.It only happens on a certain design of two handled faucets.  May not be the problem but by taking apart the faucet would be easy to check.

I think this is the most likely problem. It's definitely a slamming noise that I'm hearing, and it sort of shakes the faucet as well. Regardless, the faucet is coming apart. If I can get to it before I leave I will, if not it will have to wait. Either way I will update. Luckily it's more of an annoyance than anything. Thanks everyone.

rvannie23 said:
It's a double handle faucet, the pull out with a sprayer kind.

I should have read this first.....there is ia diverter valve that controls the flow to the sprayer, in normal operation it closes flow to the faucet when the spray is turned on.......it is not working properly or there is a leak on the sprayer.

You may find it better to replace the faucet. I have always been a fan of Moen or Delta faucets but I now favor the faucets sold in IKEA stores. They seem to have larger internal ports that pass more water. Maybe this is due to their market being primarily in Europe where the water pressure is generally lower.

catblaster said:
I should have read this first.....there is ia diverter valve that controls the flow to the sprayer, in normal operation it closes flow to the faucet when the spray is turned on.......it is not working properly or there is a leak on the sprayer.

You may find it better to replace the faucet. I have always been a fan of Moen or Delta faucets but I now favor the faucets sold in IKEA stores. They seem to have larger internal ports that pass more water. Maybe this is due to their market being primarily in Europe where the water pressure is generally lower.

You had me at IKEA <3. I love their stuff for the camper. I have been wanting to replace this faucet for a while...its nice but its over two years old and the H/C labels are rubbing off and it's starting to show wear. Given this new info though, I am going to go home and try something. When the water shuts off I'm going to click the button for the sprayer and see what happens. I may get flow back. I'll take it apart just for the sake of understanding the issue better but I am still using it as an excuse for a new faucet  ;D ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom