Duo Therm A/C support

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rigsboo

hello i have a duo therm a/c last year it blew cold but leaked water. earlier this year it seemed fine blew cold but didnt leak water well today i stated it up and its blowing but not cold...just blowing air. what could the problem be? its an older model duo therm brisk air the unit is so old that all the numbers is faded the only thing i found was on the back of the "radiator?" it said L843174 but i know thats not the model number....i found the installation instructions but I can only tell you its a 559 series, 579 series OR a 557 series and heres a bunch of models it COULD be i cant find anything on it its self because everything is faded and worn off. the thermostat is on the ceiling sort of like built into the system if that makes sense. any help would be appreciated!

Hi and Welcome!!

i have a duo therm a/c last year it blew cold but leaked water. earlier this year it seemed fine blew cold but didnt leak water

"Leaking water" is completely normal if you mean onto the roof. If you mean into the trailer, that would likely mean the drain pan openings under the a/c and  onto the roof are plugged up. Take the cover off and clean out.

The second problem, not blowing cold air, is more problematic. Does the compressor run (as opposed to just the fan)?

Lots of info online if you google "duotherm 559 air conditioner" (without the quotes). Maybe some of those would be helpful.

It didnt leak inside the camper just on the roof i just wasnt sure if that had anything to do with it. How can i tell if the compressor is running?

You should hear the compressor cycling on and off. If you have a fan only setting turn it to auto, and it will kick on when the compressor does. That's my understanding.  There is probably a better way but that's what I listen for. Some people refer to the AC being "charged" in order to blow cold air. If you add that term to the search it may help you.

This is probably the completely wrong time to ask this but do you like that unit? (Besides your issue right now) does the heat function work well?

I haven't heard it cycle on an off but sadley i never really paid attention to it before  ( ive only had it a year and only used it maybe 2 dozen times mostly while i was asleep haha) it blew really cold so i was thrilled with it especially with its age...the heat to my knowledge you have to get an accessory or a heat strip? Or something of that sort...its never had heat since we used it

And the switch doesnt have an "auto" it has low fan, low cool, med cool, and high cool

Oh okay good to know! Not sure if yours had it or not. Seems like they last quite a while though lol. I'm not one to speak too much on ACs, someone will probably know better than me. But it may be out of freon? Not sure at all if that's how the camper ACs work, but it could be the issue.

Search the forum for "warm ac air" or the like...I think this is a common and easily fixed issue i see it in posts quite often.

Thats what my family thinks is it needs freon but were not sure how thats how these things work and if so where to add it

The sound of the compressor is distinctly different than the fan. Listen to the fan and then turn to cool (with the stat set for cooling) and you will readily hear the difference.  If the compressor is not running, call a technician to check the unit. These are not cost effectively repairable, but the problem could be external to the cooling system (usually the thermostat or wireing/capacitor).

Ernie

Low fan, and low cool dont do anything at all...med cool and high cool work but not cold...just blows air that being said im not even sure if low even worked when we got it honestly i nevet paid attention...but i dont have the option to blow just the fan

Back
Top Bottom