Gen Set Runs but won't stay running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSlam

Hi guys,

2009 Fleetwood Southwind Class A with an Onan gen set with less than 10hrs on it.
Generator ran great.... started it and it ran great on our trip home.
Got home, wanted to run the AC, had the  RV plugged in to 15amp so I turned on the Gen Set to fire up both AC units.

Gen Set ran for 15 minutes then died.... now it starts... runs for 15 seconds and dies.

LOTS of gas in RV, almost 3/4 full.

Thanks for any help/input.

Dave

DaveSlam said:
2009 Fleetwood Southwind Class A with an Onan gen set with less than 10hrs on it.
A 2009 genset with less than 10 hours on it has been badly neglected. The fuel system is probably grossly gummed up from not running under at least a 50% load every month for 30-45 minutes. Sounds like a new carb and fuel filter are in your future. R

Had the same problem on my 08 Onan 5500.  My hours were around 480. Start right up and die in about 10 minutes.  Changed fuel filter and fuel pump [not that bad a job] and now runs like a new one.  I believe frequently running them for a little while is the key to a dependable generator.....Bob

Similar symptoms on mine fixed with a new fuel pump.

I pulled the fuel line from the carb and pumped into a jar. This quickly showed the flow to be low.

Tom

Thanks guys.... appreciate it.

The previous owner took the carb off each winter when stored, so I am hoping it is not gummed up.

Getting new fuel filters tomorrow and we will see what happens.

I ordered the fuel filter when I ordered my pump. I went ahead and installed it though the old filter had no obstruction. Was a waste of money...

Tom

OK this is weird....
I went out this morning, checked the oil and it is half way between Add & Full.
I started up the Gen Set and boom, it runs like a top.
Left it running for 30 minutes with no load on it.
I had to take it in for a safety inspection this morning so I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it or turn on the AC etc.

Thoughts?

Tks
Dave

DaveSlam said:
I went out this morning, checked the oil and it is half way between Add & Full.
I started up the Gen Set and boom, it runs like a top.
Left it running for 30 minutes with no load on it.
I

Does that mean I won?  If I did, it was sheer luck. Hope it keeps running for you.

I read that the light on the Start Switch flashes error codes.

The Error Code is 37.
Anyone had experience with this Code?

I just had time to run it again, Oil level is perfect...same thing runs for 15 seconds then dies.

OK... fixed!

The guy I bought it from took the carb off every winter.
Turns out he didn't put it back together 100%
There is a little blue washer or something that wasn't installed properly.
See attached pic
When the Genset tried to rev up sometimes it would get stuck then die.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom