New2RVing! Seeking advice on tow vehicle....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mn blue skies II said:
We had a 2007 Durango  and pulled a 22 ft north trail.  Pulled nice most of the time, struggled some up steep hills.  If it had the hemi i think it would have been better.  replaced it with a Ram 1500 hemi.  Now own a 3500 ram with the diesel

Yeah ours has the 5.7l Hemi, which is an option. That helps a lot.

Let me tell you a sad towing story.  My friend Bob  bought a Ford SUV, can't remember the exact model, but it had the full tow package and rated to tow 5000 pounds.  He then purchased a 19 foot ultra light TT.  Trailer weighed about 4000 lbs.  He took about 4 weekend trips before the transmission gave up to the tune of 3500 bucks to fix.  Bob now has a nice Ford pickup..

BlkZrx said:
Let me tell you a sad towing story.  My friend Bob  bought a Ford SUV, can't remember the exact model, but it had the full tow package and rated to tow 5000 pounds.  He then purchased a 19 foot ultra light TT.  Trailer weighed about 4000 lbs.  He took about 4 weekend trips before the transmission gave up to the tune of 3500 bucks to fix.  Bob now has a nice Ford pickup..

Thank you for that story Bob.

Wow... so much advice and all very much appreciated. I am hearing "you need more towing capacity" than 5000 even if you are towing a trailer that is 4000 fully loaded. So, move over Santa Fe... we are now looking at Jeep Grande Cherokee Ltd. (2014 - 2016)... they have a towing capacity of 6500 or 6200... and now I have a question about them specifically. I am hoping to buy one, hitch on. I looked at a few on the weekend and one has a hitch that is not factory and only has a hitch capacity of 5000 which means the tow capacity is now the same, 5000. No need to spend the extra bucks if it isn't going to provide the full capacity, right? My question is: Does it have to have a factory tow package to provide the full towing capacity? Can I buy the vehicle without the hitch, have one put on, and as long as the coolants and trailer brakes etc. are set up, we are good to go? I did ask one salesman if a vehicle had the factory tow specs (coolants and trailer brakes etc.) and he said "I have no idea. I cannot provide the specs...it's a used vehicle." Really? I would expect salesman to be able to print out specs and any insurance claims on the vehicle, upon request.

You want a towing vehicle with a tow rating higher than the weight of a trailer when fully loaded.

I'm not certain how much but I would look for at least a 1000 lbs higher than a fully loaded trailer. In some cases a vehicle rated to tow "up to" 5000 lbs is an exaggeration. Vehicle may be able to tow 5,000 lbs but only shorter distances. More realistic towing weights for some 5,000 lbs rated towing vehicles is between 2,000 and 2,500 lbs, at 3,000 lbs towing becomes more difficult at 5,000 almost ridiculous unless perhaps the vehicle has been modified.

Also required is a tow package. Take a look at the specs on the tow package. A good tow package will have an upgraded heavy duty radiator with a heavy duty external transmission cooler (that's not part of the radiator cooling) (automatic transmissions)  make certain the transmission cooler is rated high enough for your towing needs. A good tow package usually comes with upgraded tires and suspension (tires, shocks and springs). Spring and shock ratings are important for when towing and hauling.

Trailer towing requires a good trailer brake system installed in the tow vehicle, can make a difference while towing.

Weight Distribution Hitch is another consideration when towing. E.g. some smaller SUV's have a towing rate of e.g. up to 5,000 lbs but only when using a WDH (weight distribution hitch) Otherwise a tow rating may be only up to 2,000 lbs.

Shorter wheel base vehicles normally aren't as good at towing as longer wheel based vehicles. There also more difficult to upgrade with larger tires and hd suspension and not as good with bumps, dips, etc especially when towing a trailer.

I have towed with earlier model Jeeps and not familiar with later models. Of most of the different Jeep models Jeep Grand Cherokee in comparison ranks fairly good for towing up to a certain weight(s). However I'm not certain of the later models. Some of the later models SUVs aren't all that good for towing and off-road. A few of the small SUV's no longer can be lifted for use with larger tires and heavy duty suspension because of changes to the design of their steering, suspension and engine mounting. However some Jeep SUVs  have seen significant improvements with the engine, drivetrain and transmission. Jeep iirc has started installing five and six speed transmission replacing previously  installed four speed or three speed with a 4th OD.

The Jeep Grande, find the hitches Class rating. Class III is normally the most popular  hitch installed. The Class IV are usually installed on larger vehicles such as large trucks, etc. Though there are some very heavy SUV's  heavier than some larger trucks.

Looking online I see the Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014 is  rated to tow up to 5,000 lbs. Which is the same as the older Jeep Cherokee XJ that first came out back in the 80's produced mid 80s to 2001.

Most likely it has a Class III hitch but the vehicle is only rated to tow up to 5,000 lbs. Swapping in a heavier duty hitch won't increase the tow rating or GVWR of a vehicle which is there for life, unless changed by the vehicle manufacture.

There are differences in tow capacity ratings and GVWR. The GVWR isn't ever suppose to be exceeded even when using modifications and towing equipment. Most of the towing equipment helps facilitate towing but doesn't usually  change a vehicle's GVWR, unless include perhaps some design and structural changes by the manufacture.

Look also for the Grand Cherokee's  hitch class rating and if it requires  WDH equipment to meet a max. rating

* I would go online to one of the Jeep Grand Cherokee forums and search towing with a grand Cherokee. Possibly join a GC forum and post a GC towing question(s).

It's also a good idea to find the tw (tongue weight rating) which helps when making towing calculations. A  higher TW allows for more weight in the rear of a vehicle.

Class III hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 6000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 600 lbs.

Class III hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1000 lbs.

Class IV - 2" receiver 6,000-10,000 lbs (load) 600-1,000 lbs tongue weight

Very good response from rvanony.

You are asking about apples and potatoes.

The VEHICLE tow rating applies to the weight of trailer the suspension / brakes / drivetrain can handle.
The HITCH rating applies to how much weight that hitch is designed to carry.

A 4000# TT attached to a 5000# receiver under a TV with 6200# tow rating is fine!

With many thanks to all, we are now proud owners of a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited  8) complete with a factory tow package: Trailer Tow Group IV (AHX) that will have a towing capacity of over 6,000 lbs - so good to go towing a 3,000 lb trailer and 1,000 lbs or less of contents. We are now looking for car bras (mainly to protect the grill from a festival of bugs), seat covers (because our old Pearly Girl is a fur dispenser) and a cargo liner for the back so it says clean while travelling (with the back seats down, the entire back will be the cat's domain...kitty bed, litter box, etc.) Before we buy the trailer, we are travelling from BC to Ontario with a 5x8 U Haul cargo trailer full of our boxes. Theft of such is on my mind  :mad: and my research tells me all kinds of good advice. In addition to parking up against a building (great idea), I would like to clamp on a wheel lock as well. My question is which is the best type of wheel lock to buy that we can also use on our trailer? I am thinking the TriMax TCL75 Wheel Chock Lock. Any comments or suggestions much appreciated. As always, THANK YOU!!

Will you be parking the trailer unhooked from the Jeep? I usually padlock the tongue even if it's attached to the tow vehicle. And of course lock the door on the back of the trailer.

What type of theft do you wish to cover?  A lock to secure the trailer to the Jeep covers one point.  It may also be of value when the trailer is disconnected - lock hitch closed.  Wheel locks as you mentioned or a steel cable through a tire and around the tongue will help.  Definitely a pad lock on the rear of the U Haul.

Best option - good homeowners / renters insurance.

You can never make anything theft proof.  Just make it hard enough they will look for an easier target.

Thank you, everyone. So...we bought the 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee (with tow package: 6200 lbs capacity) so that our old cat, Pearly Girl, could have the back of the Jeep as her domain while we were travelling...and we knew this day was coming but not this soon...she passed away last Friday from acute kidney failure. #willmissherforever We are still keeping the Jeep and we are looking at a 2010 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite Ultra-Light 19KD. The fellow (original owner) who is selling it is not sure of its capacities, only that it is light. The sticker on the side of the unit says: GAWR Front 3500 lbs, Rear 3500 lbs. GVWR 7360 lbs. Cargo weight should not exceed 3355 lbs and online under specs it says Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 3728 / 1691 Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs) 3632 / 1647.5 Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs) 360 / 163.3  Can we safely tow this? Again, many thanks!

Very sorry about the cat.  :'(  It can break your heart!

The label you quoted has all the information you need.  It has a very large cargo wt.  Remember, you are trying to keep the TT weight under 5000#, so just be cautious how much you put in it!

Note:  100# placed in the camper will place 90# on the trailer axles and only 10# on the tow vehicle.  It only uses 10# of your Payload.
  100# placed in the Jeep will place 100# on the tow vehicle and use 100# of payload capacity.

PearlyGirl said:
Thank you, everyone. So...we bought the 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee (with tow package: 6200 lbs capacity) so that our old cat, Pearly Girl, could have the back of the Jeep as her domain while we were travelling...and we knew this day was coming but not this soon...she passed away last Friday from acute kidney failure. #willmissherforever We are still keeping the Jeep and we are looking at a 2010 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite Ultra-Light 19KD. The fellow (original owner) who is selling it is not sure of its capacities, only that it is light. The sticker on the side of the unit says: GAWR Front 3500 lbs, Rear 3500 lbs. GVWR 7360 lbs. Cargo weight should not exceed 3355 lbs and online under specs it says Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 3728 / 1691 Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs) 3632 / 1647.5 Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs) 360 / 163.3  Can we safely tow this? Again, many thanks!

If what you read online is correct the trailer's max weight would be 7083 lbs. Dry weight plus cargo weight of 3355 lbs. But you mention two cargo weights for the trailer, 3355 and 3632. If you use the 3632 the max weight for the trailer will be 7360 lbs. Either way you are over the max for your Jeep. We have a Nissan Frontier that we tow a Winnabego Winnie Drop with. The Internet says my max tow rating 6100 lbs. Not so. My max is about 5400 lbs once everything is included. Given that I would not tow anything that weighed more than 4000 lbs dry. That we give me about 1400 lbs for stuff (more than we carry).

Back
Top Bottom