Canadian ticket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

halfwright

I got a ticket for seat belt violation just after I crossed the border into British Columbia. My question is  "What will happen if I do not pay it?"  I do not plan on going into BC again. Is there any reciprocity between Canada and the US on traffic  related offences? Can a hold be put on my South Dakota license?

I pay all US tickets, moving or parking as it may create a problem down the road crossing the border.  In today's digital age it is too easy for them to bring it up and refuse entry.  I know people who have been permanently banned for a DUI with a reading of .08

Ed

halfwright said:
I got a ticket for seat belt violation just after I crossed the border into British Columbia. My question is  "What will happen if I do not pay it?"  I do not plan on going into BC again. Is there any reciprocity between Canada and the US on traffic  related offences? Can a hold be put on my South Dakota license?

How much is it?
What if down the road you want to go into Ontario or Nova Scotia. You most likely won't be able to. I had a co-worker who was in his 60's tried to enter Canada for work. He had a dui offense back in the 60's in the US. They had a record of that and they would not let him in.  If it was me, I'd pay the fine.

Do they still have that border crossing where it's just a video camera and no real person?

It depends on the state who issued your license...I believe almost all the Northern states reciprocate and you will find this unpaid ticket on your file when you go to renew. It definitely works in reverse and why Canadians do the decent thing and pay their tickets.

P.S. unless BC is different from Ontario and Quebec there is usually a huge billboard at the border telling you to wear you seat belt...so this is your fault.

The fine is  $167. It was the crossing at Blaine on Interstate 5. I am not denying fault. It was justified ticket written by a polite highway patrolman  who was sitting in the median less than a mile from the border.

Without trying to be political, I do not wear the seat belt at all. I dislike a "Nanny state" forcing me to wear it, be it Canadian or American. I guess it is time to pay for my political beliefs.

I was curious about this so did a little research and as others have said, there IS reciprocity with some border states so may or may not apply in SD.

halfwright said:
I guess it is time to pay for my political beliefs.

Or you could really take a stand and become a wanted international fugitive  ;) ;D

So Jim does that mean that you have no medical coverage, either Medicare or Private.  Because if you do, then you expect others to pay for your "nanny state" ways.  Here in Canada with Government insurance, we found medical costs dropped significantly when we followed the US by implementing seat belt laws, and differing from most US jurisdictions enforcing the law.  Seat belt use in Canada is almost universal, and as said, injury stats back up the reason for having implemented them.

Ed

My brother failed to pay a ticket he received in Canada. It was reported to Minnesota DMV, and he ended up with points on his license.

I was sitting here thinking why should someone wear a seatbelt or a MC helmet if they don't want to. Insurance companies should be able to deny coverage if those safety items aren't utilized. Then I thought, who would pay the medical costs if your insurance didn't. I doubt many people have enough cash on hand to pay for a catastrophic injury. So, would the hospital and doctors and others just write it off? If so, why would any of us carry insurance? Just musing on a hot and humid Monday afternoon.

When I went to renew my DL in Nevada they refused to renew it because of an outstanding $25 ticket I got in Utah. I had to pay it or no license. I cannot imagine anyone not wearing a seat belt. Since I am suppose to be polite I won't say what I am really thinking. :-X

Oldgator73 said:
I was sitting here thinking why should someone wear a seatbelt or a MC helmet if they don't want to. Insurance companies should be able to deny coverage if those safety items aren't utilized. Then I thought, who would pay the medical costs if your insurance didn't. I doubt many people have enough cash on hand to pay for a catastrophic injury. So, would the hospital and doctors and others just write it off? If so, why would any of us carry insurance? Just musing on a hot and humid Monday afternoon.

The real question isn't about injuries....it's about your life.  Wearing a seat belt saves thousands of lives per year and if you don't care about being a statistic and seeing your loved ones mourn over your loss, then don't wear one and give a funeral director your business.  I've worn a seat belt ever since they first came into being in the early 1960's and when I got my first car, a 1970 Ford Bronco, in 1974, my parents immediately paid for having a roll bar installed as an extra preventative measure in case it rolled.  I feel naked if I don't have my seat belt fastened.  This isn't about defying big brother and the legislators, its about being safe and taking advantage of the tools and technology given to you.

On the subject matter at hand, back in the early 80's, a buddy of mine and I were driving from Vancouver to Banff and my buddy was stopped and ticketed for speeding.  As my buddy had a Calif license, the officer volunteered that if he was not going to be returning to Canada in the next 3 years, he could avoid paying the fine and the ticket would drop off and disappear.  The fine was never paid and nothing ever happened as a result. 

larryziegler said:
The real question isn't about injuries....it's about your life.  Wearing a seat belt saves thousands of lives per year and if you don't care about being a statistic and seeing your loved ones mourn over your loss, then don't wear one and give a funeral director your business.  I've worn a seat belt ever since they first came into being in the early 1960's and when I got my first car, a 1970 Ford Bronco, in 1974, my parents immediately paid for having a roll bar installed as an extra preventative measure in case it rolled.  I feel naked if I don't have my seat belt fastened.  This isn't about defying big brother and the legislators, its about being safe and taking advantage of the tools and technology given to you.

On the subject matter at hand, back in the early 80's, a buddy of mine and I were driving from Vancouver to Banff and my buddy was stopped and ticketed for speeding.  As my buddy had a Calif license, the officer volunteered that if he was not going to be returning to Canada in the next 3 years, he could avoid paying the fine and the ticket would drop off and disappear.  The fine was never paid and nothing ever happened as a result.

I think you missed the context of my post.

halfwright said:
Without trying to be political, I do not wear the seat belt at all. I dislike a "Nanny state" forcing me to wear it, be it Canadian or American. I guess it is time to pay for my political beliefs.
Maybe you should change your handle from HalfWright to CompletelyWrong. ;)

yolo said:
Maybe you should change your handle from HalfWright to CompletelyWrong. ;)
Who are you to judge?
On my Harley I normally where a helmet but not always. My choice.
Are school kids on the bus safer without belts? I don't know but someone would need to explain that one to me.
Good day.

Wearing a seatbelt is not just about safety it's also about control. Back in the 70s I was driving a Pontiac Catalina on I-93 in New Hampshire in a snowstorm. Two little old ladies cut me off so they could take an exit, I hit the brakes and swerved away from them, did a 360 in the middle of the road and slammed into a snowbank. I was not wearing a seatbelt. When I hit the breaks and started to spin I flew out of my seat and slammed into the passenger side door and couldn't move. I had no control over my car once it started to spin. I've worn a seatbelt ever since.

TheNewhalls said:
Wearing a seatbelt is not just about safety it's also about control. Back in the 70s I was driving a Pontiac Catalina on I-93 in New Hampshire in a snowstorm. Two little old ladies cut me off so they could take an exit, I hit the brakes and swerved away from them, did a 360 in the middle of the road and slammed into a snowbank. I was not wearing a seatbelt. When I hit the breaks and started to spin I flew out of my seat and slammed into the passenger side door and couldn't move. I had no control over my car once it started to spin. I've worn a seatbelt ever since.
I also where a seatbelt always. However, I remain slow to judge others.

Alpena Jeff said:
Are school kids on the bus safer without belts? I don't know but someone would need to explain that one to me.

For the most part, yes, they are. You can't compare school bus accident injuries to passenger cars. Vehicle construction and seating is totally different, as is the type of accidents normally encountered. It is estimated that more kids would be injured getting in and out of the belts, plus the little monsters that would use the belts and buckle as weapons, than the injuries the seat belts would prevent.

Protest Pay the ticket,  ship them a box of 16,700 U.S. Pennys ...  Canadian's have a great sense of humor  8)

Back
Top Bottom