EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Canadian ticket  (Read 1426 times)

halfwright

• ---
Canadian ticket
« on: July 23, 2017, 11:34:09 PM »
I got a ticket for seat belt violation just after I crossed the border into British Columbia. My question is  "What will happen if I do not pay it?"  I do not plan on going into BC again. Is there any reciprocity between Canada and the US on traffic  related offences? Can a hold be put on my South Dakota license?
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
Ryder, the Ethiopian monkeybeaver dog
and a
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 F250 Super duty 7.3 liter

SkateBoard

Re: Canadian ticket
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:19:54 AM »
Is there any reciprocity between Canada and the US on traffic  related offences?

Nope, none at all.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 07:15:23 AM »
     I pay all US tickets, moving or parking as it may create a problem down the road crossing the border.  In today's digital age it is too easy for them to bring it up and refuse entry.  I know people who have been permanently banned for a DUI with a reading of .08

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 07:22:32 AM »
I got a ticket for seat belt violation just after I crossed the border into British Columbia. My question is  "What will happen if I do not pay it?"  I do not plan on going into BC again. Is there any reciprocity between Canada and the US on traffic  related offences? Can a hold be put on my South Dakota license?

How much is it?
What if down the road you want to go into Ontario or Nova Scotia. You most likely won't be able to. I had a co-worker who was in his 60's tried to enter Canada for work. He had a dui offense back in the 60's in the US. They had a record of that and they would not let him in.  If it was me, I'd pay the fine.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

SkateBoard

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 07:27:29 AM »
Do they still have that border crossing where it's just a video camera and no real person?

massspike

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 07:53:09 AM »
It depends on the state who issued your license...I believe almost all the Northern states reciprocate and you will find this unpaid ticket on your file when you go to renew. It definitely works in reverse and why Canadians do the decent thing and pay their tickets.

P.S. unless BC is different from Ontario and Quebec there is usually a huge billboard at the border telling you to wear you seat belt...so this is your fault.

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 09:34:50 AM »
The fine is  $167. It was the crossing at Blaine on Interstate 5. I am not denying fault. It was justified ticket written by a polite highway patrolman  who was sitting in the median less than a mile from the border.

Without trying to be political, I do not wear the seat belt at all. I dislike a "Nanny state" forcing me to wear it, be it Canadian or American. I guess it is time to pay for my political beliefs.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:38:54 AM by halfwright »
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
and a
2007 Montana Mountaineer

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »
I was curious about this so did a little research and as others have said, there IS reciprocity with some border states so may or may not apply in SD.

I guess it is time to pay for my political beliefs.

Or you could really take a stand and become a wanted international fugitive  ;) ;D
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »
     So Jim does that mean that you have no medical coverage, either Medicare or Private.  Because if you do, then you expect others to pay for your "nanny state" ways.  Here in Canada with Government insurance, we found medical costs dropped significantly when we followed the US by implementing seat belt laws, and differing from most US jurisdictions enforcing the law.  Seat belt use in Canada is almost universal, and as said, injury stats back up the reason for having implemented them.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo w/ Ami the tiny co-pilot
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 01:30:55 PM »
My brother failed to pay a ticket he received in Canada. It was reported to Minnesota DMV, and he ended up with points on his license.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »
I was sitting here thinking why should someone wear a seatbelt or a MC helmet if they don't want to. Insurance companies should be able to deny coverage if those safety items aren't utilized. Then I thought, who would pay the medical costs if your insurance didn't. I doubt many people have enough cash on hand to pay for a catastrophic injury. So, would the hospital and doctors and others just write it off? If so, why would any of us carry insurance? Just musing on a hot and humid Monday afternoon.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »
When I went to renew my DL in Nevada they refused to renew it because of an outstanding $25 ticket I got in Utah. I had to pay it or no license. I cannot imagine anyone not wearing a seat belt. Since I am suppose to be polite I won't say what I am really thinking. :-X
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

larryziegler

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 03:03:30 PM »
I was sitting here thinking why should someone wear a seatbelt or a MC helmet if they don't want to. Insurance companies should be able to deny coverage if those safety items aren't utilized. Then I thought, who would pay the medical costs if your insurance didn't. I doubt many people have enough cash on hand to pay for a catastrophic injury. So, would the hospital and doctors and others just write it off? If so, why would any of us carry insurance? Just musing on a hot and humid Monday afternoon.

The real question isn't about injuries....it's about your life.  Wearing a seat belt saves thousands of lives per year and if you don't care about being a statistic and seeing your loved ones mourn over your loss, then don't wear one and give a funeral director your business.  I've worn a seat belt ever since they first came into being in the early 1960's and when I got my first car, a 1970 Ford Bronco, in 1974, my parents immediately paid for having a roll bar installed as an extra preventative measure in case it rolled.  I feel naked if I don't have my seat belt fastened.  This isn't about defying big brother and the legislators, its about being safe and taking advantage of the tools and technology given to you.

On the subject matter at hand, back in the early 80's, a buddy of mine and I were driving from Vancouver to Banff and my buddy was stopped and ticketed for speeding.  As my buddy had a Calif license, the officer volunteered that if he was not going to be returning to Canada in the next 3 years, he could avoid paying the fine and the ticket would drop off and disappear.  The fine was never paid and nothing ever happened as a result. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:12:09 PM by larryziegler »

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 03:15:15 PM »
The real question isn't about injuries....it's about your life.  Wearing a seat belt saves thousands of lives per year and if you don't care about being a statistic and seeing your loved ones mourn over your loss, then don't wear one and give a funeral director your business.  I've worn a seat belt ever since they first came into being in the early 1960's and when I got my first car, a 1970 Ford Bronco, in 1974, my parents immediately paid for having a roll bar installed as an extra preventative measure in case it rolled.  I feel naked if I don't have my seat belt fastened.  This isn't about defying big brother and the legislators, its about being safe and taking advantage of the tools and technology given to you.

On the subject matter at hand, back in the early 80's, a buddy of mine and I were driving from Vancouver to Banff and my buddy was stopped and ticketed for speeding.  As my buddy had a Calif license, the officer volunteered that if he was not going to be returning to Canada in the next 3 years, he could avoid paying the fine and the ticket would drop off and disappear.  The fine was never paid and nothing ever happened as a result.

I think you missed the context of my post.
Air Force Retired

yolo

• ---
  • You Only Live Once
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 03:44:11 PM »

Without trying to be political, I do not wear the seat belt at all. I dislike a "Nanny state" forcing me to wear it, be it Canadian or American. I guess it is time to pay for my political beliefs.
Maybe you should change your handle from HalfWright to CompletelyWrong. ;)
Bill Bell -- SW Florida

2009 Coachmen FX21QB Towing 2009 Smart Car
2013 Thor Tuscany 40FX
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 03:54:53 PM »
Maybe you should change your handle from HalfWright to CompletelyWrong. ;)
Who are you to judge?
On my Harley I normally where a helmet but not always. My choice.
Are school kids on the bus safer without belts? I don't know but someone would need to explain that one to me.
Good day.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
2018 Canyon All Terrain toad
"Official" snowbird!
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan
Preachers kid since day one!

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 03:56:47 PM »
 Wearing a seatbelt is not just about safety it's also about control. Back in the 70s I was driving a Pontiac Catalina on I-93 in New Hampshire in a snowstorm. Two little old ladies cut me off so they could take an exit, I hit the brakes and swerved away from them, did a 360 in the middle of the road and slammed into a snowbank. I was not wearing a seatbelt. When I hit the breaks and started to spin I flew out of my seat and slammed into the passenger side door and couldn't move. I had no control over my car once it started to spin. I've worn a seatbelt ever since.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »
Wearing a seatbelt is not just about safety it's also about control. Back in the 70s I was driving a Pontiac Catalina on I-93 in New Hampshire in a snowstorm. Two little old ladies cut me off so they could take an exit, I hit the brakes and swerved away from them, did a 360 in the middle of the road and slammed into a snowbank. I was not wearing a seatbelt. When I hit the breaks and started to spin I flew out of my seat and slammed into the passenger side door and couldn't move. I had no control over my car once it started to spin. I've worn a seatbelt ever since.
I also where a seatbelt always. However, I remain slow to judge others.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
2018 Canyon All Terrain toad
"Official" snowbird!
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan
Preachers kid since day one!

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 05:03:49 PM »
Are school kids on the bus safer without belts? I don't know but someone would need to explain that one to me.

For the most part, yes, they are. You can't compare school bus accident injuries to passenger cars. Vehicle construction and seating is totally different, as is the type of accidents normally encountered. It is estimated that more kids would be injured getting in and out of the belts, plus the little monsters that would use the belts and buckle as weapons, than the injuries the seat belts would prevent.

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 05:48:51 PM »
Protest Pay the ticket,   ship them a box of 16,700 U.S. Pennys ...  Canadian's have a great sense of humor  8)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:09:56 PM by TonyDtorch »

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »
Almost as many strong opinions about this as there are about toilet paper. I thought I would be allowed to choose not to use a seat belt without being personally attacked. I see I was completely wrong.
If you really want their advice ...  Tell them you let people use the restroom or lay down on the bed in a moving motorhome. 

and,   The Home run of unwanted advice ....tell them you like to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:14:09 PM by TonyDtorch »

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 07:36:16 PM »
I do not wear gloves when i drain the waste water tanks . I also have been seen drinking from a garden hose and running with scissors.
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
and a
2007 Montana Mountaineer

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »
I do not wear gloves when i drain the waste water tanks . I also have been seen drinking from a garden hose and running with scissors.

I read that wrong the first time (I have been into the scotch tonight). I, at first glance, thought you said you drank from the waste water tanks and did not wear gloves while running with scissors while drinking from a garden hose. I guess I was halfwright.
Air Force Retired

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 08:07:26 PM »
Oh no, not running with scissors!! ;)
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 08:32:17 PM »
OK, not really running. Would you believe a high speed hobble?
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
and a
2007 Montana Mountaineer

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
Well at least we can keep a sense of humor about it. One thing we all still have is free will. Make your own decisions, and whatever the consequences are, those are yours to keep too.  No name calling though, this is not the place.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 38 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »
Protest Pay the ticket,   ship them a box of 16,700 U.S. Pennys ...  Canadian's have a great sense of humor  8)
We sure do. Especially since we no longer use pennys, and the Canadian dollar is worth about 75 cents US. That would mean you would be paying about forty or more dollars more than the fine was to start with. As far as wearing seat belts, I have worn them ever since they started putting air bags in vehicles. I dont want to get killed by a stupid air bag blowing up in a minor fender bender.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 08:59:29 PM »
Well at least we can keep a sense of humor about it. One thing we all still have is free will. Make your own decisions, and whatever the consequences are, those are yours to keep too.  No name calling though, this is not the place.
:)) :)) :))   Right on, SargeW!

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 01:08:34 AM »
As far as wearing seat belts,  I have worn them ever since they started putting air bags in vehicles. I dont want to get killed by a stupid air bag blowing up in a minor fender bender.

why bother with the seat belt ....that Takata airbag is gonna kill you anyway.

I'm glad Class A's don't have airbags... :)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:27:34 AM by TonyDtorch »

massspike

• ---
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 10:12:24 AM »
We sure do. Especially since we no longer use pennys, and the Canadian dollar is worth about 75 cents US. That would mean you would be paying about forty or more dollars more than the fine was to start with.

And since it costs the US Mint more than a penny to make a penny not only would the Canadian economy gain over $200 we'd melt down the pennies for the copper at your expense...not exactly a pathway to #MAGA :-)

Hosted by Over The Network