Do RV's have odometers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stewie Griffin

This is very strange to me and maybe it's just a glitch, but here is what I am currently experiencing.
We purchased our 2013 Heartland Road Warrior new in March of 2013. Up until this spring I have only pulled the trailer with my 2008 F350.
Now, if I had to guess I would say we have put anywhere between 1,000 to 2,000 miles per year on the trailer. We didn't camp much there for a couple of years.
So, in October of last year we replaced the 2008 with a 2017. The '17 has a lot of nice features that I've been getting used to. One of them is the ability to program the trailer into the truck's database.  I did that this spring and when I was finished, it showed the trailer mileage at 7,608 miles. I hadn't even pulled the trailer with the '17 yet. So how is this possible? Do these trailers have a mileage counter on one of the wheels or something? Am I just late to the party and this is old news?

Nope, trailers don't have odometers. Sounds like a problem with your truck. With the 2013 Ram and the 2014 F-250 trucks I had. They would add up trailer mileage only when it detects a trailer hooked up in the 7 pin connector. Both could be programmed for multiple trailers. You just had to select which trailer you're pulling when the screen prompts you to when having multiple trailers programmed in. Do you have any kind of auxiliary lights plugged into the 7 pin connector?

No auxiliary lights.
The truck is keeping track of the mileage on the trailer as I tow it just as it should.
It's just odd that the truck showed over 7,000 miles on the trailer even though it had never pulled that trailer previously. I'm just going to go with it. That appears to be an accurate mileage for the trailer. Shoulder shrug.

when not towing you might have to click "no active trailer".  Some trucks will automatically do that when disconnecting the cord...others on the FTE truck forums were saying they had to do that. 

Jim H

jims94vmx said:
when not towing you might have to click "no active trailer".  Some trucks will automatically do that when disconnecting the cord...others on the FTE truck forums were saying they had to do that. 

Jim H

Both of mine stopped logging trailer mileage when the trailer was disconnected.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom