Troy bilt generator wont start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rigsboo

Generator is only a year old
While the generator was running i opened the oil check and that was a mistake...threw oil everywhere...so i cut it off...cut it back on and it ran for a little while then it slowly quit like barely powered anything until it died...waiting a little longer and i started it and it ran for like 8 seconds puffing a hard black smoke..shut off and wouldnt start back...i drained the oil and filled it back and it still wont start..smells like im flooding it cause i keep tryin to start it so its getting fuel...black smoke is fuel..i dont know why...whats the problem? Im not sure how to get the plug boot off to check for spark it doesnt just pull off...everythimg is just being a hassle these past few days

Chock should only be used if ENGINE is COLD to the touch,, ALso did you top off the oil after you shut it down as it may be the low oil sensor.

But chock should only be needed when motor is cold to the touch and not fore more than 1 minute (iikelyu less) once it is running.

I do not know the Troy Built gas tank but another story I tell has to do with Honda's  The Honda Inverter generators have a sealed gas tank, you have to open a vent valve before you start them. Else they run for a very short time and then quit (Starved for fuel).  THe story has to do with me Fixing one (Ask if they had opened the vent and.. then they did).

Ive tried with the choke on and a few hours later without the choke...use to id close the choke pull it once open the choke pull it and itd start...tried that and still nothing...think where i opened the dip stick tube/oil filler where it was running it lost compression and broke a ring?

Update im pretty sure its not getting spark...whats the reasoning? Its only a year old.. have something to do with where i opened the oil filler while it was running?

I doubt you broke a ring or did any damage for that matter... But the key word is DOUBT.

You'd have to loose a lot of oil to do damage.

But.. It is possible.

The spark is generated by a magnet on the fan passing through a coil mounted on the engine.  While  it was throwing oil everywhere did any get sucked in and saturate the coil?

It still had oil in it...and it ran afterwards... heres another update...Ok i have the plug out...its black...dirty with build up.cleaned it a tad and put it next to the motor and there is spark...i couldnt tell if it was from the tip or the plug itself but there IS spark...

Back
Top Bottom