Wind Cave N. P., SD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lorna

Ned and I have just spent a couple nights in Hot Springs, SD and went to Wind Cave NP today and while driving thru the park came upon five bison wanting to cross the highway in front of us.  They didn't mind us stopping and waiting for them but were very unhappy when a very noisy dump truck came up behind us.  We were also a little concerned that the truck wasn't going to stop in time or that the bison were going to charge us.  They were really up close and personal. This picture was taken thru the windshield.  My cousin has a place just north of the park and while visiting there we saw lots of deer at their place and on the way back to the coach.  George Foster eat your heart out!!!! :) :)

Attachments

• Wind Cave Buffalo.jpg
    Wind Cave Buffalo.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Wind Cave Buffalos.jpg
    Wind Cave Buffalos.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 40
Oh my, Lorna, that was up close and personal  :)

We had a similar experience when we visited Wind cave back in 1999.  We stopped on a back road near a small muddy stream, just to view the vastness of the horizons.  There was a tiny black dot far out on the plain but field glasses showed it was moving towards us. Soon we could tell it was a lone bison.  Then I noticed a "wallow" adjacent to the  little stream. Sure enough, the bison trotted right up to us, only a few yards away and then flopped into the wallow to roll around.  A couple tons of bison on its back, waving its feet in the air, was a hilarious sight!  He completely ignored us and just walked away when he was done.

Attachments

• BlackHills07 (Small).jpg
    BlackHills07 (Small).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 43
  • BlackHills11 (Small).jpg
    BlackHills11 (Small).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 31
Aren't you glad the bison didn't decide to use your car as a rubbing post?  ;D

When I was much younger I did witness a bull moose tip a Volkswagen bus on its side with no visible effort.  When ever I have seen Buffalo on the road like those posted it brings back memories of that Moose.  I'm sure it would be easier for the buffalo to do the same thing if he took a notion to. ;D

Gee Gary it looks like the same one but then they all look alike :) :) :)

Tom said:
Oh my, Lorna, that was up close and personal  :)

I feel compelled to share this picture of the duty buffalo stopping traffic in Yellowstone.

Attachments

• 08_buffalo.jpg
    08_buffalo.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 18
LOL Joel, I think I'd stop for that one too. Thanks for sharing.

joelmyer said:
I feel compelled to share this picture of the duty buffalo stopping traffic in Yellowstone.

Hope you gave him the right of way.  Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to seeing you next week.

Good shot Phil.  Thanks for sharing.  Don't see that many bears there anymore since they try to move them further away from the public.

Back
Top Bottom