Odometer disable while flat towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fcph

I have a 2006 GMC 4WD HD that I flat tow, however, my mileage continues to accrue.  Any way to disable the odometer?

We had that issue with our 2004 Chevy Suburban that we bought new and immediately started towing. I assumed it was 'normal' for that vehicle, until a forum member informed me that was not correct. Next time the Burb went into the dealership for another issue, they fixed the towed mileage issue at the same time. Unfortunately, we had an additional 10,000 (towed) miles on the odometer by then.

I didn't ask, but assumed there was a 'switch' they were able to flip in the software.

I don't understand why people object to mileage accruing while the vehicle s being towed. After all everything is wearing except the engine and part of the transmission. Is it that we are basically dishonest and want to deceive a future Buyer? Or is it that the wear and tear on everything other than the engine and transmission is irrelevant? I had to get new tires on my Saturn at 39k miles. The tire shop thought that my original tires should have lasted longer, until I explained that they had another 30k miles being towed. It doesn't accrue miles either.

If you're trying to keep track of fuel mileage in your toad, the towing miles can mess up the calculations as well as an onboard mileage calculator accuracy. In the case of the OP's GMC and Tom's "B'urb", they're both exempt from mileage accuracy regulations when selling anyway.

ChasA said:
I don't understand why people object to mileage accruing while the vehicle s being towed. After all everything is wearing except the engine and part of the transmission. Is it that we are basically dishonest and want to deceive a future Buyer? Or is it that the wear and tear on everything other than the engine and transmission is irrelevant?

I am certain no one is attempting to be dishonest - there is a huge difference between towed miles and driven miles. A vehicle with 200,000 driven miles may be facing thousands of dollars of engine, transmission and transfer case work in the semi-near future. A vehicle with 200,000 miles, 100,000 of which is towed, might need tires (easily discernible just by looking) and perhaps wheel bearings might be looked at (something to consider on an older vehicle anyway).

I have a 2006 GMC 4WD HD that I flat tow, however, my mileage continues to accrue.  Any way to disable the odometer?

If you follow the towing instructions in the owner manual for Recreational Towing, but mileage continues to accumulate, something is wrong (broken).

The most common reason for mileage recording under tow is that the ignition is left in the On position. At the end of the tow set-up, the last step of the procedure says to turn ignition to Off but Unlocked position. No mileage can record in that position unless something isn't working as designed.

fcph said:
Does the steering wheel lock when the ignition is turned off?  Many newer vehicles don't lock the steering wheel.  I "assumed" my 2009 Chevy Colorado locked the steering wheel until I tested it and found out it doesn't lock.  Since then I put the transfer case in neutral, take the key out and away we go.

If the steering wheel does lock, start looking for a fuse you can pull to kill the computer which controls the odometer.  What I did was to put the truck ignition in the towing condition and then started pulling fuses until I found one which killed the odometer display.  I then towed the truck a few miles to verify the odometer miles did not increase. 

Once I found the correct fuse, I went to an auto parts store and found a fuse replacement cable that I then routed to a fuse holder & switch.  Then I could just flip the switch when towing. 

Many newer vehicles don't lock the steering wheel.

That was another thing I learned about our Burb from a forum member. However, in our case, removing the key didn't stop the accumulation of towed mileage until it was fixed under warranty.

If the vehicle has an electronic (aka "chipped") key, the steering wheel probably doesn't lock.  However, the 2006 Sierra manual indicates that the wheel does lock and must be in the unlocked position for towing, but ignition Off (not ACC or On). No fuse pulls are said to be needed.

Tom's experience indicates that GM had a problem with that at one time, so it's possible this one is simply not working as designed.

Short primer, MOST 21st century, if not all, vehicles have electronics speedometers and odometers they should NOT rack up millage with the ignition in the OFF position Only with it in the ON position.

Now older cars (IE I used to tow a 1992) had mechinical Odometers. ON THESE the millage would run up if you towed in neutral ... I towed in park (I used an Axle Disconnect) since the transmission shaft was not turning NO added millage  (The wheel (right side) turned free and the left one just spun the differential)  Drive Shaft disconnects do the same for RWD veiicles.

But modern electronic ones SHOULD NOT rack 'em up.  As others have said if yours does contact your dealer.

As we have a RemCo Tran Pump in the Toad must leave key in 'ACC' position to power it.  NO miles added. Due to inattention once left the key in 'ON' position ~ That DID rack up a few miles.  JM2?

on my buick enclave you have to pull the battery fuse under the hood.

Yes, that is part of the Enclave procedure, but it is NOT to stop odometer recording. Basically pulling that fuse disables the body computer functions that are otherwise active at all times and can interfere with towing or cause battery drain.

The GMC Sierra is not supposed to require any fuse pulls, but GM has made mistakes in owner manuals before.  The manual for my '06 Acadia was flat wrong on towing and that section was totally replaced by a TSB.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The GMC Sierra is not supposed to require any fuse pulls, but GM has made mistakes in owner manuals before.  The manual for my '06 Acadia was flat wrong on towing and that section was totally replaced by a TSB.

Our '06 Chevy HHR had a fuse to pull, but the manual identified the wrong fuse.

For my VW, I turn the key off but leave it in the lock. the steering wheel doesn't lock until the key is removed. I'm thinking about getting a blank without chip cut so that if someone tries to steal it, it won't go very far.

My 2013 Sonic does not rack up towed mileage but it does require a fuse pull to avoid draining the battery.  I had a jumper switch installed to avoid having to get to that hard to access fuse.  When the switch is engaged for towing (system disabled) the key CANNOT be removed from the ignition.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom