Just entering RVing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goaliedad33

I am just starting to get into RVing and don't want to spend a ton if the wife isn't going to like it. She loves camping. There are quite a few low mileage older MH around the area that are from 1988 up to 2000 with less than 74000 miles (many in the 30,00 mile range) and in very good condition. Read someplace that camp grounds don't accept older MH. Any truth to that?

Some RV Parks set limits but many that do also overlook them if the MH looks to be in top shape and is clean.  "Resort" type parks are known to set limits, most seem to be 10 year range or so.

The purpose seems to be to avoid vehicles that are likely to be abandoned should an expensive problem develop or those that might be turned into mobile drug labs.

We were just asked for the first time to provide a picture of our motorhome.  We've stayed at the place before and they already know our motorhome is older.  We sent a photo and received our reservation confirmation within a few minutes so I guess it passed muster.  In this case it is called a resort and some of the lots are owned by people who don't want a junker next to their nicely landscaped and maintained pad.  Can't say I blame them.  You pay a lot of money for a nice lot in a good location, pay monthly fees, and you want to maintain a nice looking environment.  As long as the RV looks decent and clean and not like it's on its last leg, you'll probably be okay.  They probably would frown on a converted school bus  But also keep in mind, they do have the right to refuse anyone who doesn't meet their criteria.

When the economy spiraled downward a few years ago and people lost their homes, many turned to RVs as a "cheap" way to have a roof over their heads.  Then campground owners faced the issue of people whose RVs break down, can't be moved, and then the owner can't evict them.  That's when we started seeing the "10 year rule" and being asked for a photo of the rig.  An example is a place we stayed at in Canada a couple of years ago where the young couple had bought the campground the previous year and were trying to get rid of the old trailers that were no longer occupied so it could once again be a "real" campground instead of a permanent residence.  We also stayed in a midwestern city-owned campground that was full of permanent or semi-permanent residents who were in sites at the back of the property so it looked better near the front.  I suspect that's why so many public campgrounds limit stays to two weeks.

ArdraF

no such restrictions in state parks and the like....well they do have to be registered and highway legal I guess...

blw2 said:
no such restrictions in state parks and the like....well they do have to be registered and highway legal I guess...

Yeah, for state and federal campgrounds the rule of thumb seems to be that if you can legally drive it to the campground, it's good enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom