Water Spigot Blow Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott 3

Last night I went to turn the water on outside when we got back to the campsite and had a major blow out like I broke a water main.  I'm at Cherry Creek State Park in Colorado.  Their spigots have the handles that get pulled straight up.  I pulled straight up and the entire head piece (cap) to the ground pipe came off.  I had 3" deep water flowing across the ground as it was gushing in the dark.  I called the nonemergency number given on the park paper for the police who in turn contacted a park ranger.  I kept trying to get water to stop while I waited.  Finally, I stood on the head piece (cap) and drove it back into place.  The water stopped.  I tried  to fasten the set screws but two out of three were missing and the third had nothing to attach to.  The ranger arrived a little while later.

The police dispatcher and ranger were both outstanding and professional.

I have seen that happen in another park, Different type of spigot.

On that type of spigot the valve is a 3-way and is deep under ground (Below the frost line) it drains the hydrant back into a gravel pit when you shut off, or should,  But if the head piece comes off.

Well. you know what happens (We used that type on the farm and I've seen it in Camp grounds)

I knew I was spelling it wrong...went back and corrected.  You're right about frost protection and draining.  You have to pull down a little brass ring for the water to go to the hose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom