Back-up camera loose/broken wire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnbst

I have enjoyed your Forum as a guest and have gleamed loads of information from you all, thank you. But now I have a dilemma of my own and hope I could get some help. I have a 2003 Fleetwood, Southwind 32V on a Workhorse chassis. My back-up camera has an intermittent picture and sound. I have determined it's a loose or broken wire at the rear of the dash mounted [i][b][/b][/i]monitor. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get access to the rear of the monitor. I can reach my hand up behind it and wiggle the wires, but that ends up being a short term fix at best.  I would like to remove the monitor to fix the connection or repair the broken wire once and for all. Any expertise on the easiest way to remove the monitor would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

A picture is worth a thousand words.  If you posted a picture of what you have it might help us help you.

On my coach I ended up raising the whole dash unit and then held it up with a stick when I needed access to that area.
I don't know if your dash can raise up or not.  Look for screws or buttons where there are screw under the buttons around the dash area.

In a 2003 Fleetwood you probably have a Weldex.  The monitors are well known for having cold solder joints on the main board.  Generally not worth repairing.

The other weak points are both ends of the cable.  I kept mine working for about a year by putting very fine strands of wire in the female side of the connectors at both ends.  This was only a temporary fix.

I replaced the monitor, camera, and cable and two years later the stupid thing fades, stutters, and goes dead randomly.

Not a big fan of Weldex anymore.

I have a Weldex camera system in my 2006 Monaco, and have experienced the same problems.  I think I finally fixed it! I cut the connectors off at the rear camera and soldered the wires together.  Also used dielectric grease on the connection to the monitor.  2000 miles over a 4 day period, and nary a flicker.

i've heard of people doing the solder thing.  The problem is that the solder will eventually fail.

The best run of problem free usage was when I pushed very fine strands of copper wire into the female side of the connector at both ends.  Worked for about 3 months.

Our next coach will not have a Weldex rear view system.

Back
Top Bottom