2001 coleman fleetwood westlake 12v power issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZdutchovenguy

HI everyone,  I am new to RV camping and recently purchased a 2001 Coleman fleetwood westlake. It seems like a great trailer but I can't seem to get the 12v power to work. Everything works on shore power but not 12v.

That being said everything I read said the factory converters weren't very good so I replaced with a WFCO 8725, and still no 12v power :-\. I have checked continuity on all fuses and wires leading into converter as well as load tested battery. Can someone help? We are a young family on a budget and I'm trying to avoid taking it to a dealer. I'm pretty handy and enjoy fixing things myself so I'd like to solve the issue on my own.

While not hooked up to shore power, check the voltage for the battery with a meter. If the battery is a wet cell type, have you checked the level of the water? How old is the battery?

Thanks for your reply  :) Battery tested at or above 13.2v and water level is good. Battery also passed load test. Battery is about two years old. Think it's possible I got a bad converter out of the box?

Your converter (the old one and the new one) are working fine. That's how you have the necessary 12v power for operating when plugged to shore or genset. Your problem is that battery power is not reaching the circuitry. You have either a disconnect relay that is open or a bad connection to the battery.

I've got good continuity on the pos & negative / ground between the battery and converter, I also checked voltage coming into the converter is over 13v. I thought the same thing about an open relay, after a visual inspection I have been unable to locate a relay or breaker anywhere on the trailer frame or in the cabinets near the converter.

I was able to download the wiring diagram,  and I don't see any other breakers or relays.

Thanks for your reply!  :)

AZdutchovenguy said:
I've got good continuity on the pos & negative / ground between the battery and converter,I also checked  voltage coming into the converter is over 13v. I thought the same thing about an open relay, after a visual inspection I have been unable to locate a relay or breaker anywhere on the trailer frame or in the cabinets near the converter.
I was able to download the wiring diagram,  and I don't see any other breakers or relays.
Thanks for your reply!  :)

AZdutchovenguy
A RV converter needs 120VAC "coming INTO it".

Tha 13.3V you are measuring is the converter output, not the battery Voltage.  There is a high liklihood that you have a bad or not connected battery. Measure with the battery disconnected from the converter.

Ernie

Check your dc cutoff switch.  Our Coleman Sedona has a flip up galley.  This has to be in operating position to make a rocker switch.  My switch is worn out and I will be replacing soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom