National General RV Insurance experience, rating or review???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ferfer

Need new insurance and wondering if anyone had positive or negative experience with National General RV ins. 

Jennifer

We have had National General for 4 years.  No claims, two window chip repairs.  Fairly level premiums. competitive price.

I like the ability to change the coverage to "in storage" so there is no premium for collision coverage at that time.  good helpful personnel when we call.

Jim, thank you for the information.  Good to know their price is fairly level.  I noted the "in storage" coverage change but unclear how it works.  I assume if we go with them we will find out. 

Jennifer

We had a large claim with them ($6,400).  We needed an entire roof replacement on our previous TT.  The claims department was easy to work with and we didn't notice an increase in premiums. 

Thank you Max.  That is good news and thanks for sharing. 

Jennifer

We had them for two years with one claim, passenger side windshield.  The adjuster was an employee of the firm that  they had replace the windshield.  I really didn't want "their" windshield but I didn't want to pay for another brand windshield out of my own pocket. The new windshield is OK, but not the windshield that I wanted.  When our policy came up for renewal, they raised our premium by 20%. We went shopping and ended up with The Hartford through AARP. Saved about 15% over the previous year, before the 20% raise. The windshield was a comprehensive claim, so it shouldn't have raised our policy cost. National General said that it was because of so many claims in our area. Their loss.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

My 1st policy on the MH was through them, then they played their hike the rate game after a couple years so I jumped ship.
No claims so I have no real comment about their customer service, or lack there-of.

I think all insurance companies play that game from time to time...jack the rate and hope you're lazy and just pay it.... so that's just the way it goes.

Thanks for the info. Indiana Journey and Brad. 

Indiana Journey I did not know that adjusters still existed except as voice on phone with insurance co or through shop doing repair.  I assume s/he told you to go to certain shop for repair.  Hummm. 

Brad I think you hit the nail on the head about the rate hike game and there is no way to predict occurance.  Progressive did it to us - big time jump. 

Jennifer

I just got a quote from National General, over twice what State Farm is charging us.

I have only been with National General Life since 2013.
I recently filed a claim for a driver windshield replacement. They cover it thru the comprehensive deductible of 250.00 .
The claim was handled in less than a week. They use Duncan systems for the windshield .
Customer service is responsive and I never got charged any deductible for windshield.
Rates are the same and haven't gone up, I pay 720.00 a year , no roadside assistance, I use good sam.
Still with them and haven't had a reason to change.
I have geico for my automobiles and when I got a quote for my RV I decided to stay with Good Sam..or National General Life.

ferfer said:
Indiana Journey I did not know that adjusters still existed except as voice on phone with insurance co or through shop doing repair.  I assume s/he told you to go to certain shop for repair.  Hummm. 
Jennifer

The adjuster with National General let us use our RV Dealer.  He did negotiate with dealership but that's his job.  I think the adjuster was correct when he told me the dealership was padding the bill a bit.  All worked out well and everyone was happy.

We didn't see an increase in rates after our claim on the TT last fall.  However, we recently purchase a used 5th wheel and the premium increased but the 5th wheel is more expensive and older than the TT.  I think this is a good time for us to get a few other quotes but will way the costs and satisfaction with the claims dept.

I have Nat Gen ins thru Good Sam . I had a claim  for about 5,000 $ last year.  When they sent the renewal offer it went from 2,581 to 8,380 annually but  after much discussion they lowered the premium to 1,690 for six months. 
They would only insure for six months as opposed to yearly before I had the claim.  the sales person sounded like a used car salesman in that they could not guarantee that price unless I committed right then
This policy included a car and a truck

Given we are talking insurance, things sound fairly positive for National General.  Thank you  Willandgiselarv for adding to this perception.

dblocker, DH said he totally relates to your statement "the (Good Sam) sales person sounded like a used car salesman".  Dan called Good Sam for National General quote (FYI, it was ~ $150 more then the National General quote through our broker (AIS)) and said the guy really was pushing Dan to pull out that credit card and sign up.  Best deal, would go away etc etc.  Definite pressure sales. 

dblocker, I can not wrap my mind around that rate hike.  I can find no way to relate. Both are extremely excessive IMHO.  I do not know if a insurance broker could help but it might be worth checking out.  Perhaps ask the forum if they have any advise?  I am just shaking my head.

Thanks Max,  that confirms my perception that claims SOP is for customer to go to their preferred RV repair center and then the adjuster will work with the repair center directly.

Jennifer

Just changed motorhomes, so I checked out various insurers.  Here is what I found...
All quotes were for identical coverage and deductibles.

Geico / Safeco $ 2,000+
Progressive $1601 to $1715 depending on payment plan or paid annually
National General  $1097  (this is full coverage for a full year.  When unused for 30 days or more, collision coverages can be removed for the period of storage, reducing costs.)

I guess it pays to shop..

Back
Top Bottom