Help on brake problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TNBigfoot

Hope someone can help me with where to go next.  Purchased a Thor 20' tow behind 3 months ago.
Pulling the camper the last time, I noticed the tire rims were very hot to the touch.  I pulled all the tires and drums, checked and clean the backplate and hub, and even re packed the wheel bearings.  After replacement, I adjusted the star wheel to set the brakes.  I still have one hub that gets very hot.  When I jack the trailer, the wheel spins freely.  When I hook to the truck, the magnet engages and everything works as it should.  Where do I go next to troubleshoot the problem?  After adjustment to the "tight"position, I back off until the tire rotates freely and I hear little if any pad engagement on the drum.  Am I doing this correctly?  Thanks for your help?

If the axle nut is too tight it will cause the bearing to overheat and heat up the wheel.  The axle nut should be snugged and then backed off to the next hole back.  Often the nut can be moved a little back and forth with your fingers if done correctly and that it OK.  Too tight is not OK.

I assume that you cleaned the bearings, both inner and outer and inspected them for corrosion, pitting, bent or damaged cage, heat discolored and smooth rotation.

Does the trailer have electric brakes? One side could be malfunctioning.

SkateBoard said:
Does the trailer have electric brakes? One side could be malfunctioning.

They said: "the magnet engages and everything works as it should".
I would also look at the nut as previous posted.

Having this problem is bad. Where are you camping? You can contact the maintenance center, such as Cottman blog, they operate very extensively.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom